Thoughts on 10u DD swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2017
Hey everyone,
This is my first actual post. I've been lurking for a year or so and have already learned a ton from this website. It's been a great resource for me and my DD. She just turned 10 and I was hoping you all would critique her swing. I know what I think she needs work on but I would really appreciate the feedback of some of the folks on here.

She was hitting well earlier in the year but lately she's really struggled against faster pitching. I know this is a common issue with this age group and I know that her swing changes some between the tee and live pitch, but my main question is...is this a swing that can work? I've gotten a few coaches that don't like her swing because they say she will not be able to hit against faster pitching especially as she gets older and the pitching gets faster. Her hitting instructor works mostly with baseball players but to me that shouldn't make a difference. Am I wrong? Just looking to get a second opinion. Thanks for all your help folks.

https://imgur.com/gallery/wnbQl

Dec 4, 2013
Hey everyone,
This is my first actual post. I've been lurking for a year or so and have already learned a ton from this website. It's been a great resource for me and my DD. She just turned 10 and I was hoping you all would critique her swing. I know what I think she needs work on but I would really appreciate the feedback of some of the folks on here.

She was hitting well earlier in the year but lately she's really struggled against faster pitching. I know this is a common issue with this age group and I know that her swing changes some between the tee and live pitch, but my main question is...is this a swing that can work? I've gotten a few coaches that don't like her swing because they say she will not be able to hit against faster pitching especially as she gets older and the pitching gets faster. Her hitting instructor works mostly with baseball players but to me that shouldn't make a difference. Am I wrong? Just looking to get a second opinion. Thanks for all your help folks.

https://imgur.com/gallery/wnbQl

I like some things about her swing! I would tell her to pretend there is a laser extending indefinitely out from the knob of her bat. Tell her you want her to slash the ball in half with her laser as fast she can from right to left. All she has to think about is to slash that laser through the ball as fast as she possibly can. No pointing the laser at the ball then slashing, just an immediate slash through the ball........This would be teaching her to turn her barrel. The faster her laser slashes through the ball, the faster her barrel will come whipping around!

Kids love the laser.....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This kid should have a bright future.

LTJ27_U3.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Her hitting instructor works mostly with baseball players but to me that shouldn't make a difference.
Correct. Same swing.

Also, right now your DD's stretches between her hands and front foot...see yellow line. Here's were it needs to be...see red line.:
tumblr_osoxe3nHMy1usf292o1_400.gif

Replaced with better gif.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks fellas, I'll try and implement those suggestions. I like the Bonds example.

As far as getting her to swing against live pitch the way she does off the tee, is it just reps reps reps...and then more reps?

And to adjust to faster speed she just needs to see faster speed more often?

May 3, 2014
Correct. Same swing.

Also, right now your DD's stretches between her hands and front foot. Here's were it needs to be:
14Separation.gif

This is not a slight at all, but this advice should be a sticky for the practical forum. Do this. Repeatedly. Nice job, Bass.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00