This was a new one on me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
Kinda similar, but can an umpire object to a coach talking to his/her defensive players in a huddle after they come off the field and before they enter the dugout? Had an umpire put a stop to that in a recent tournament. I guess one concern would be that if you're outside the dugout, you could get hit in the head by something. But don't think there is a rule. I assume a particular tournament can make it a rule. Doubt that happened either, though.

This was a point of emphasis a few years back for high school ball (NFHS). As you described, it is a safety issue for the teams to meet/huddle in live ball territory as the defense is warming up between innings. It is not an issue that they are meeting, just that they are in live ball territory. We are instructed to ask them to move behind the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
i had this happen to me in a tourney i was coaching 1st base and after 3rd out i would walk back to dugout (we were in 3rd base dugout) and i picked the ball up from the field of play and handed it to our pitcher when she came out and would give her a word or 2 of advice maybe 10 seconds total. 3rd inning the pu told me if i did it again i would have to change pitchers because it would be my 3rd visit.

Apr 28, 2015
I pick up the ball and hand it to my picture between innings all the time and say a couple of words. However, I also grab the ball and wait to hand it to opposing pitcher and say a couple of words to her also. Nothing has ever been said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 6, 2013
I've had umpire tell me before that at any time I cross the chalk and talk to a pitcher it is a charged conference. Between innings or not. I just assumed it was the case and haven't done it in a couple years since.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I've had umpire tell me before that at any time I cross the chalk and talk to a pitcher it is a charged conference. Between innings or not. I just assumed it was the case and haven't done it in a couple years since.

A little league rule that I believe has since been dumped.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma