This isn't T-Ball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our team has 2 speeds, all out and station to station.

Normally it is all out, I always tell them if you do not start running until you hear me you are late.

We run into some outs but they are running.

Mar 29, 2017
I just left being a commissioner for a league. 8u was how you stated. Get what you can get till the infield has the ball, one base on overthrows, no continued running if they end up throwing the ball around. Holding them to one base infield/two base outfield won't teach them anything. Base running or fielders.

Nov 2, 2015
I just left being a commissioner for a league. 8u was how you stated. Get what you can get till the infield has the ball, one base on overthrows, no continued running if they end up throwing the ball around. Holding them to one base infield/two base outfield won't teach them anything. Base running or fielders.

Thank you. Much appreciated. And that is how I'm trying to operate, and that is how are rules are written.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
I get what you're saying, and that's what I'm trying to do. There is nothing in the local rules that says "hold them at 2nd on an outfield hit." If I have a girls that crushes it to the fence (especially if it's a close game) I'm having her touch them all! Why not reward her?

That being said, I can go up there, and say "we're playing the local rules," and those coaches will still be saying "that's not how we've been playing" "you're going to let them run wild" etc. Which to be honest, I don't care what they say about me, I just don't want the league run like a T-ball game.

Yeah, this is not your fault. It's the Association and league director that have let this get out of control. They need to put the hammer down by saying "the local rules reflect the playing style that we expect, whatever is inside of those rules is what we expect". If there is consensus that those rules should be changed, league officials and coaches should sit down AFTER the season and hash out rules that make more sense for your circumstance. The only circumstance where you should be reigning them in is in blowouts where any coach should practice discretion.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This where your 8U commissioner needs to come and handle this. Refer to the rules that are in place. Refer to summer all stars and what other leagues in your area are doing.

Year to year as a commissioner, we would review the rules and make any changes that we thought would enhance the game play BEFORE the season started. When I became commish for 10U we had rules such as, one base on an over throw to first, no stealing of home, one base on over throw to 2nd base on steal, etc. What?!! Once they get to summer allstars, they were confused. The rules also made it so that you didn't even need a catcher. These parents were hand wringing and saying that: oh the kids can't handle it. The scores will be crazy, etc. Geez. Once we made the changes as close to ASA rules minus D3K, there was less umpire confusion, less parental confusion and the girls adapted to the rules given to them. The kids will always adapt to the rules! It's the parents that have the problem.

With 5 runs per half inning, running crazy will not be problem and the kids will learn to hustle and compete. Plain and simple.

Good luck.

Nov 2, 2015
This where your 8U commissioner needs to come and handle this. Refer to the rules that are in place. Refer to summer all stars and what other leagues in your area are doing.

Year to year as a commissioner, we would review the rules and make any changes that we thought would enhance the game play BEFORE the season started. When I became commish for 10U we had rules such as, one base on an over throw to first, no stealing of home, one base on over throw to 2nd base on steal, etc. What?!! Once they get to summer allstars, they were confused. The rules also made it so that you didn't even need a catcher. These parents were hand wringing and saying that: oh the kids can't handle it. The scores will be crazy, etc. Geez. Once we made the changes as close to ASA rules minus D3K, there was less umpire confusion, less parental confusion and the girls adapted to the rules given to them. The kids will always adapt to the rules! It's the parents that have the problem.

With 5 runs per half inning, running crazy will not be problem and the kids will learn to hustle and compete. Plain and simple.

Good luck.

So, here's part of the issue, I guess. Actual softball numbers are not great. So, our 'League' plays other leagues within the district during the season. Technically, I guess the District is in charge, and issues inter-league rules prior to the season. Getting someone from the district to address something like this, however, would probably be like pulling teeth. Most leagues only have a bout 2 teams at each age-level, so that's why we inter-league during the season. My league VP is great, and the other coach in my league is great, but once we're outside of our organization.....well, see above!

Mar 29, 2017
For inter-league play, my league went by who's field we were at. Although, most of the umpires were the same guys and this really wasn't an issue because we used basically the same fundamental rules. Only thing that really changed was play time/drop dead times. But still, it was the host fields rules for inter-league.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD's HC sent Email to comish about pitchers being to good, they were cheating a little bit.

Comish respone was teach your team how to hit. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, dear. Just play softball. I don't know when these limits came to be. Softer balls, shorter bases, time limits instead of innings, and limiting base stealing. Guess what? The girls will learn to play ball. We are hindering them and slowing their development. Oh, and I forgot - no sliding.

I practice with my 7 yo granddaughter every night. Last night, she caught her first 11 inch ball off of the bounce back. It has taken a lot of work, but she will be able to play ball, if she decides to. (She is in lacrosse.)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
MacLobo - You're doing it right. Teach what they need to know to play at the next level. Coaches that aren't doing that are doing a disservice to the girls and to the game - but I'm sure they will all get a trophy at the end of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00