This coach gets it.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
The amount of whining in this thread speaks directly to why so many kids are walking around with their own entitlement complexes.

I read the article in the link along with two related pieces and have yet to come across anything representing 'punishment'. The coach felt there was something wrong with the culture of his football program, so he took swift and decisive action in an effort to correct course before things get any further out of hand.

It's my contention that his response was not punitive at all, but rather an opportunity to help a group of young men gain a broader perspective and to help them understand how they can better represent themselves in their community. They are a team and they've been participating in team- and character-building exercises as a a team.

From this point forward, however, those who decide that being a member of a strong unit is not for them will be able to leave the team and live on their own terms.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
The headline is "suspends entire team". How is that not punishment?
They lost their positions on the team as a result of inappropriate behaviors by some or many. They had to serve the punishment or could not return to the team. Just because the punishment was to do something good doesn't mean it wasn't a punishment. Kids around here get sentenced to a diversion program where they have to pick up trash and be followed by an officer. It results in a good deed. It's still punishment. This coach punished everyone, guilty or innocent. Pointing out there is no value in punishing an innocent person and punishing people without proof (they didn't know who was doing the bullying) is not whining. I do feel entitled to not serve a punishment for a crime I did not commit.

People like the punishment the coach dealt, I do to, just don't believe it should apply to kids who weren't a problem.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't have a problem with team building and character building. I do have a problem with suspending kids who did nothing wrong. If the coach wants them all to participate in additional activities thats one thing, its another to be suspended. Add in that one of the things they had to do was 24 hours of community service, I don't know what your kid's schedules are like but if my dd had to find time for 24 hours it would take her 12 days to get it in, or all of the time she was spending practicing because virtually every other hour of her day is already accounted for. I think its that lazy method of management that gets confused for decisive. To me it shows a lack of knowledge of whats going on and by whom.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You have three kids in the article who say they knew stuff was going on, but did nothing. One was a team captain. Based on his statements now, seems like he may have learned that being captain doesn't mean you just get that cool C patch to wear on your jersey. It requires you to be a leader and stand up for the principals and values of the organization that you are a part of. If you don't do that, there are consequences for all involved. That is a valuable life lesson taught by sports right there.

And though I doubt it, lets just say there were some players who were quietly praying in the corner while all this was going on. How does this "punishment" affect them. They probably learned that when it comes to being part of a group or a team, you are judged by the character of the people you associate with. And since this is high school, its not like they can just go join a different team. Lucky for them they have a coach who decided to take measures to insure they would have a team they could be proud to be a part of. He didn't do it by screaming or having them run laps, he did it by teaching them to respect people and give back to their community.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Each child earned their way back individually. The suspension was a wake up call. They not only had to do community service, but had to show up to all of their classes and make acceptable grades. The kids that were doing this before, will continue to do so. Since the coach was using practice time for the community service, I'm not sure I see where the punishment lies. It's a team sport; having the team work as a team is appropriate.

May 10, 2010
For those putting down the actions of this coach. Go spend some time at your local school. Many that play sports are disrespectful to teachers and adults in general. It's easy to control 12 or so dedicated athletes, but try and teach math to 25 or 30 kids that do not have their parents hovering over them. I agree totally with the coaches actions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00