There's No Crying in Baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2013
That may or may not be true, but there sure is in 10U Travel Softball. We have a couple of girls that break down after every failed at bat and every bad play in the field. They also happen to be 2 of our pitchers. They manage to keep it together in the circle, but if they get pulled you have lost them. There are a few others that will shed a few tears but bounce back quickly. Then there are those that just smile at you when you are upset with them. I'm not sure which I prefer. At least the criers are upset at failure.

Nov 1, 2008
16 YO DD and her best friend had a falling out a few months ago and both of them were pretty stressed about it. BFF is playing on opposing TB team a few weeks ago. DD comes in to pitch the last couple innings, first pitch was right into BFF's back. DD starts crying because she thinks everybody thinks it was intentional. BFF is standing on first crying because DD is crying. End of the game handshake and prayer both are still crying. After the game my wife made then talk about it and hug it out. They left the boyfriends at home and went to the movies that night.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As tough as my 9yo DD can be behind the plate, she still bawls after every strikeout. My attempts to console her only piss her off more. I'm FINALLY learning to keep my distance.

My favorite line for crying: "I can't let you play if you're crying. With those watery eyes, you can't see the ball. It's for your safety. I really don't want you to get hurt. I'm going to put Heather in for you."

The crying stops almost immediately. :)

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Our two pitchers (one was my DD) were the only two crying when we lost our last playoff game. Everyone else was excited about going out for ice cream.

May 16, 2014
I have 7 to 9 year olds and we have some cryers. My daughter is 8 and is the worst and it annoys me to no end. I keep my distance because, like another poster said, trying to console her or to scold her, only makes it worse. I appreciate that she cares that much, because I know she does. I'd have to say that I would rather have the cryer than the ones who are oblivious to everything.

I'm thinking--hoping--that its mostly developmental. Hopefully she just matures enough that she gets passed that stage. The softball camp we went to had some instruction to the girls about that sort of thing and I'm hoping it sticks. We'll see the next game.

Jun 24, 2013
I dislike criers, they make me uncomfortable. DD has never cried on the softball field, on the ride home in the car she has though. Is it OK when I cry with her in the car?

For most players, not all, it settles down a little bit when they get older.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
I'm sure most of you watched the WCWS. The shots of the Alabama dugout showed quite a few players in tears. There were tears on the winners side as well. My 14YO DGD has gone through crying, temper tantrums, stink eyes at the PU, ect.. She has pretty much gotten all of this under control. It took time, its called maturity, and some guidance and patience from coaches and parents. One thing we know, she really cared about her performance and in some cases was to critical. I would rather have this than a player who could care less.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As others have said, better the crier than the oblivious, because is shows their passion for what they're doing. However, when it carries over into their next part of the game, and affects their performance, it becomes a problem. Likewise, when it affects the team morale, it becomes a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd