The quest for 60

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Wow...I'd be happy to see my 11 year old figure out how to break 43mph. She is scrawny and all legs...we switched from HE to I/R. Her speed is up a little bit, but not the way I had hoped for the amount of time we put in.

If you haven't already, start a new thread, post a video and folks can give your DD some ideas she can work on to maximize her potential.

Ken

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Once your DD stops growing and gaining speed naturally the best place to look for more MPH is her leg drive. I have found that getting my DD to throw into a tarp 20' away as hard as she can using her legs gives better results than throwing to a catcher, where she is concerned with ball placement. Once she masters the mechanics and leg drive into the tarp, progress to throwing to a catcher. We have also started doing more long toss.

Oct 22, 2009
She will, I have some of the smallest pitchers you'd ever see!
The little ones can break that speed. I also have a 7th & 8th grader that are the size of average 10yr olds and blow over in a stiff breeze. They are both throwing 47mph. Trying to get them to 50 by high school, I think we can do it.:)

Apr 24, 2013
To Sparkyguy,

In your recent post you indicated a lot of over/under. Does this refer to over and under weighted balls? If so could you explain some more detail. Thanks again for your posting and your sessions outlines. They will help with putting together workouts with my daughter this summer.

Sean

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Sorry,

The previous post was for SoAZDad.

Thanks again for any response.

She uses light and heavy balls a few times per month, but no heavy ball work before or after the long toss sessions. The over I referred to at the beginning of each of the three workouts is just overhand throws to warm up (and for me - arthritis on top of blown rotator cuffs). She chiefly works on form, mechanics, and hitting spots in all 3 workouts. I catch her from a squat (no bucket) and keep a ball in my throwing hand so as soon as I catch each pitch, I throw it back to her as hard as I can to optimize her reflexes and minimize getting hurt.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Hi, long time reader, first time poster. What does dd stand for by the way?
My 10u daughter struggled to hit 60 too.... her riseball is probably cruising in at 63ish, but the nastiest pitch is her 68mph drop curve rising screw..... it's hard to catch. Starts out like a cutter, but then it just jumps up and in about 10 inches!!!
It wasn't until she won state in the crossfire championships that she was deadlifting 225#, that's when hitting into the 60's where no problem for her. :confused: (sarcastic idiot font)

Oct 9, 2013
JJ, great thread. Thanks a bunch for it. DD went from 41 to 55 in 18 months and now we have been stuck at the 55 for a 8 months now. Its driving dd and I insane. We will try more long toss and see how that goes.

JJ your DD sounds about exactly like my DD pretty much mine, is 13 only 5'6" right now and can hit 54-57 pretty consistently I personally have never seen her hit 60 yet but she has hit 59 a few times at pc practice. but we played our first game in 14u(she plays up) last weekend and I don't know if the metal cleats make that much of a difference vs rubber but she was throwing harder than I have ever seen her throw (wish I had my gun on me) the team we were playing (imo shouldn't be a tb club) had a heck of a time catching up to her. but that 60mph milestone lol has been a struggle to get to for my DD. I do have a feeling though she was hitting it the other night but forgot gun so no clue :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1