The "Natural"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
So DD joins a pretty serious A TB team this fall playing 14U. The team is comprised of 13 YOs but one girl who is 12. The practices start and I noticed this 12YO kid with the big raspy voice is a pretty good SS. Every practice I am more impressed with this kids abilities and then the games start. She is the loudest yeller but more importantly she is a whizbang SS. She charges hard, has a rocket for an arm and just loves the game.

Today the coach puts her at second to give someone else a chance at SS when there is a very sharply hit ball to the gap between 2nd base and the player. She lays out, makes the snag and rolls to her knees and throws out the girl at first. DD who was catching told me later, when she made the stop I thought good job. When she made the out by a step I thought she is a player.

I have never been as impressed with a kid's natural abilities as this one. Do you ever come across kids that you know to make a note of their name because you just know you will be hearing about them in college? As much as I enjoy watching my own kid play and do well, this 12 year old is just fun to watch. I hope she enjoys the game as much going forward.

Nov 29, 2009
Do you ever come across kids that you know to make a note of their name because you just know you will be hearing about them in college

Had one years ago. She is the only girl I ever had who would go truly horizontal for a ball at 9 years old. She made some great plays when she was young and continued to do so as she got older. She starts college next year. Time will tell. She's signed at an upper level DI.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Old HS HC Coach told me they only come along every decade for him... he said he never spends more than 3 min. at tryouts too. He told me the last thing twice....never heard him repeat himself on anything.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I didn't coach her, but I heard about Samantha Findlay (she hit the game winning HR in the CWS for Michigan in 2005) when she was 11 YOA. She was playing high level 18U at 12YOA.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Have not seen too many 'ringers', but have seen quite a few girls who have the potential to play high level college ball if they stick with it!

Apr 6, 2012
So, based on this post, here is my question. How many times have you seen that kid who is the real deal at 12 who, for one reason or another doesn't pan out as she gets older? One of the things that is tricky is that if you tell young kids ( and even more important) parents that the kid has talent, it can become a problem. Some kids and parents can handle it. They keep themselves and their kids centered and humble. For other kids, it becomes a pressure situation that they can't handle. So, is it better to tell kids and parents how talented their young daughters are or is it better to let them fly under the radar a bit?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think the thing that impresses me most about this kid is her positive attitude about everything. Always the voice you hear from the dugout cheering on a teammate, always an encouraging word to another on the field. At 5'4 and about 110lbs she bounced one off the top of the fence Sunday. The other two girls that can hit the fence are much larger than her. Again, just a joy to watch.

I think this kid is rubbing off on the other team members. DD laid out for two run saving catches this weekend and every week her team plays a little better. I think the kid is infectious.

Atlantabell, in my experience, the kids you refer to are usually good between 8-10 and that has to do with them being bigger and physically mature compared to their peers. By 12U the other kids are catching up. This kid plays above kids who are two years older and have more high level playing time.

I don't see her being built up and will make sure I don't contribute to that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish