The money side of playing travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
While I participate in and help perpetuate this travel system we’re in now, I don’t particularly like it. If it existed when my brothers and I played, there is no way our parents would have been able to afford it. If I had another DD (or two!), I wouldn’t be able to afford it. I don’t think it’s necessary to either play high level ball (at least in densely populated areas) or to have experiences / bonding with our children. But, there isn’t really an alternative any more.

My DD plays on a heavily subsidized team, and my net umpiring money from 120ish games covers a little more than a year-ish of all-in softball expenses - though we are lucky enough to live close enough to a major tournament hosting site to not have to stay in hotels).

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Not sure what the definition difference is between a hobby that pays, as well as offers life experiences, and helps others. Versus a j.o.b.?!
Iron Maiden's bass player, Steve Harris, once described playing in the band as "Sort of getting paid to do your hobby, isn't it?" It's a great way to go through life to love what you do, especially if it pays well.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
While I participate in and help perpetuate this travel system we’re in now, I don’t particularly like it. If it existed when my brothers and I played, there is no way our parents would have been able to afford it. If I had another DD (or two!), I wouldn’t be able to afford it. I don’t think it’s necessary to either play high level ball (at least in densely populated areas) or to have experiences / bonding with our children. But, there isn’t really an alternative any more.

My DD plays on a heavily subsidized team, and my net umpiring money from 120ish games covers a little more than a year-ish of all-in softball expenses - though we are lucky enough to live close enough to a major tournament hosting site to not have to stay in hotels).

This is a good point of view. I do wish that my DD could play locally and find the level of competition that keeps her challenged. Unfortunately, our population size doesn't provide that. Not saying she's some future D1+++ athlete. But, she's beyond what our local programs offer. So, we have to pay the travel ball expense to put her in that level of play.

From a bonding perspective, it has been a result and definitely a perk. But, as mentioned by you and others, we would have found that through other activities that don't cost as much as well. Maybe bowling?

We have three kids. DD #1 does the travel softball. DD #2 does figure skating through the local ice rink (think rec league for figure skating), and DS is getting into youth hockey. Since DD #2 and DS participate through the house programs, it's inexpensive. It won't be until they're older and show real dedication to their activities that we'll entertain anything travel for them. And even then, we may not if they're finding the local competition levels challenging.

Oct 10, 2018
Lessons here (Westchester County, NY - about an hour north of NYC) run $150.00 pitching and $120.00 batting - insane. Her dad did his best on the bucket with youtube videos but that only got her so far so the pitching never developed after 12U and she quit. Too bad as she was pretty good and still pitches for HS (#1 varsity pitcher) and is so happy in the circle.

May 27, 2013
For those that have done lessons for many years. Do you ever scale back the lessons as the DD gets older?

We played it by ear once dd was a senior in HS. If I happened to notice that something mechanically looked off I’d get her in with her coach weekly for a few weeks rather than 1-2 times per month that we scaled back to once the HS season started.

May 27, 2013
I guess that’s why I truly appreciate those retired (from their “job”) coaches who dd went to for lessons. They obviously did it for some profit but more for their love of the game. If there wasn’t a lesson coming in after us DD’s coach would allow her to stay extra (no charge) and work on the pitch they focused on that day or a pitch she didn’t get to throw earlier in that lesson.

Definitely not the same experience with other coaches we’ve dealt with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom