The money side of playing travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Sorry - but this jumped out at me!! $120 per hour for pitching lessons??!! I need to quit saving lives for a living and teach pitching!

On a serious note - that seems pretty high to me. We’ve been lucky that DD’s PC charges $50/HR and produces numerous D1-D3 pitchers, plus has 2 recent back-to-back Gatorade POY for our state (most likely will have 3 after this HS season is over).

May I ask why so much? Does your PC rent space at a facility for lessons or own their own place? Is that the norm for your area?
It's all about location, much like with pitching. Long Island, NY is absurdly expensive for everything. Making less than $150K per year here is tough for families. Personally, I can't wait to get out of here, but I'm stuck here for now.

The trainer is worth every penny. Her father coached at Hofstra for 25 years and is a legend in college softball. Larissa Anderson from Mizzou is his protege. Sarah Cornell is her most recent top D1 player, and she's sent plenty of other girls to D1, too.

Is it expensive? Yes, but that's the cost of doing business where I live.

Aug 9, 2021
I haven't added it all up, but it's pretty expensive. LESoft's numbers seem about right. I'll add to the discussion:

$100/hr for lessons (hitting or pitching) is normal here.

Add to that significant travel costs for us since we have to travel 2+ hours to get to any real competition at least every other week...that adds up quickly!

Buying a Rapsodo doesn't help keep costs down. LOL!

We also like the girls to have a great experience and have bought helmets, bags, socks, etc. for various the teams we've played on.

All that said, I think ice hockey is costing me more...or soon will for the younger kid.

But we wouldn't do anything differently. Went in eyes wide open. The experience our kids are having vs what I had growing up is amazing. As long as they want to play we will support them. If it wasn't softball, it would be something else. Fortunately we are in a position to be able to do that.

I sometimes question others decision to do the same. I hope they have realistic expectations. But how others manage their finances is not my business. I'll leave that to the CFP's. LOL!

There was an audio book someone posted a while ago on the topic. If anyone has a link they could repost it would be great.

May 27, 2013
I get it - very familiar with Long Island as I’m originally from North Jersey and have been to the Island many times. Just still very surprised at what these coaches can bring in. Good for them for being able to bring in that kind of money. If I’m doing my math right coaching just 4 girls per day, 5 days per week could bring in close to $125K/year gross if this is a full-time gig -that’s pretty impressive! Actually, could be even part-time - if they work 4pm - 8pm, one hour each girl. Yep - definitely am jealous and need a new job!!

Aug 9, 2021
I get it - very familiar with Long Island as I’m originally from North Jersey and have been to the Island many times. Just still very surprised at what these coaches can bring in. Good for them for being able to bring in that kind of money. If I’m doing my math right coaching just 4 girls per day, 5 days per week could bring in close to $125K/year gross if this is a full-time gig -that’s pretty impressive! Actually, could be even part-time - if they work 4pm - 8pm, one hour each girl. Yep - definitely am jealous and need a new job!!
4 girls a day? Our local coaches are booked from 2 - 10...during the school year! Summer it is all day long. Printing money.

May 27, 2013
4 girls a day? Our local coaches are booked from 2 - 10...during the school year! Summer it is all day long. Printing money.

That’s what I mean! I was just saying that coaching only 4 girls per day would bring in more income than a good majority of those living in the US! I guess I just never stopped to think about it before.

ETA: Just wish I had the busy savvy and patience to do it! I applaud those able to do it, and who do it well.

Aug 9, 2021
That’s what I mean! I was just saying that coaching only 4 girls per day would bring in more income than a good majority of those living in the US! I guess I just never stopped to think about it before.
I should have spent my 6 years in grad school studying pitching instead of aeroelasticity…😒

I agree. No degree required. Play college softball (or not), become a coach in your 20s, build a client list, retire early. Second guessing my career/life choices as well. LOL!

Jan 22, 2011
There was an audio book someone posted a while ago on the topic. If anyone has a link they could repost it would be great.
I think it was:

Jan 22, 2011
My daughter pays $60 for 30 minute hitting lessons. Drops to $50 per 30 minutes if I pay for 10 at a time. When she was taking pitching lessons it was $40 to $45 for 20 to 30 minute pitching lessons, $i90 for 50 minute lessons.

Last time I looked in the financials for me renting a small indoor facility myself, rent was $5000-5500 a month, not counting insurance, utilities, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We’re fortunate on the lesson front. $60 (rounding up) for an hour lesson and cage rental. When we were seeing DD’s initial PC it was only $40 as he taught out of a pole barn turned hitting facility. And he’s how I learned to pitch. We easily got triple value our money with him. He should have charged $100+, but that’s just not who he is.

We are $2k in fees per year with DD’s current team. That’s before any fundraising (which I make sure we do extensively). Lesson cost x 25 is another $1,500. Gas, food, hotels, water, Gatorade, bio freeze, gear, etc etc etc.

While I didn’t grow up in want, my parents couldn’t afford for my brother and I to do much in sports. I wanted to provide that opportunity to my kids (or whatever activity). We put everything into a budget and that’s how we spend our Summer and Winters. We travel as a family and find things to do within the schedules.

Is DD good enough to play college somewhere? Sure, if she wants to. Will it be D1? No, but frankly I don’t care. She’s scholastically so far ahead she’ll go to college on that. If travel ball allows her to continue to play then that’s icing on the cake. Our deal has always been that if she continues to invest in herself (softball and school) I’ll continue to pay the fees.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802