The illogic of over-pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I should probably stop reading the newspapers, because the things I read sometimes just drive me crazy. Here's the latest.

I was reading about a local high school team and an overview of its season. As part of the story the coach talked about how his star pitcher had pitched all but one inning in the 26 games they had played so far. The team's record was 7-19 at the time of the article.

That's crazy to me on several levels. One I've talked about before -- the risk of overuse/repetitive injuries. It has to take a toll on your body, as more and more studies are showing.

But even if you discount that part of it, it doesn't make sense for other reasons. Not the least of which is lack of a backup plan. If your star pitcher has pitched all but one inning, and then she gets hurt for whatever reason, what do you do then? What if an unscrupulous coach decides that the path to winning Regionals or a conference championship is to take that pitcher out of the game? The season is basically over for them. What if she twists an ankle or jams a finger? What do they do then?

Then there's your basic fatigue. It's gruelling mentally as well as physically to pitch that many games in such a short period of time. While this pitcher will likely rise to the challenge (as she has in the past), she could certainly come in fresher and better-prepared with a little rest now and then. She could come in even more ready to play.

Winning is great, that's for sure. But their record is already 7-19. Are you telling me there isn't anybody else in that school who could've pitched in some of those 19 losses?

It just doesn't make sense. Splitting off some of that pitching time would be better for everyone -- the pitcher, the team, and even the coach. The sooner coaches learn that the better off everyone will be.

More...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Check out the Northwestern U. issue and Delaney. NWU pitches her 90% of the time. Delaney walked 8 against Texas State in the playoffs. It is pretty clear that NWU has road her into the ground.

Ray

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I agree, Ray. Seems like she could use a break, either physically or mentally or both. What good does it do to win a bunch of games early on, only to flame out when the tournament comes? Sounds like someone might want to get to the top of the Easton wins club as quickly as possible.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Delaney walked 11 batters against Texas State, and Northwestern (number 18 in the country) was run-ruled. She then walks 8 batters against Louisiana Lafayette. She walked 19 batters in TWO games. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you aren't going to win many games if your pitcher is walking 8 or 9 batters a game.

Delaney is hurt, and the coach just keeps throwing her. Pure insanity.

Ray

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What about Akamine (sp) at UofAZ.? She went at least a year without pitching hardly at all and now has to step up and be the horse. The newspaper (AZ. Daily Star) said that she had to have a cortisone shot to be able to pitch this weekend at the regionals.

A nurse practitioner offered cortisone to my DD to get her through her Jr. and Sr. year of HS. She wasn't real keen on it, but the doctor read his nurse's suggestion and said "not in my office, you won't." We said, "Thank you. You are the doctor." End of story.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
over pitching 12U

What would you consider over pitching at the 12U level?

(kid pitching two games per week in Middle school and 6 innings plus per week in LL in addition to this team)

Tourn one: 4 games in two days, 25 innings (no other pitcher used)
(went 2-2 for the weekend)

Tourn two:
This passed weekend 12U team played 7 games...a total of
Saturday pitched 3 games (6 + 3.5 + 6)(15.5 innings)
Sunday pitched 4 games (6 + 7 + 4 + 5)(22 innings)
pitcher #2 pitched 6.5 innings (2.5 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday)(comes in if team ahead by more than 7 runs)
Went 6-1 for the weekend.

This is likely to be a typical distribution each weekend.

How much is too much for a kid this age?
Is this fine?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, the pitchers should rotate during pool play (it is pool play--who cares?), and then the best pitcher gets to pitch the elimination games.

Once your DD gets on a better team, she will not pitch every inning of every game. She will rotate with the other pitcher(s).

Ray

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
over pitching

#1 pitcher pitched all day one except 2.5 innings...4 games.
#1 pitcher pitched 4 games except for 4 innings.

My DD is #2

#1 pitcher comes to practice last,
having trouble moving as there is and 8" by 5" bruise on her side from pitching..another on her left leg from slappping.
Deep purple red serious looking bruises...

Parents coaches didn't think it was that big of a deal.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
That is one of the reasons that I don't let my students slap. Carpel tunnel on the glove side wrist is another.

Who is the NW pitcher that reportedly has been over used?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi