The illogic of over-pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
#1 pitcher pitched all day one except 2.5 innings...4 games.
#1 pitcher pitched 4 games except for 4 innings.

My DD is #2

#1 pitcher comes to practice last,
having trouble moving as there is and 8" by 5" bruise on her side from pitching..another on her left leg from slappping.
Deep purple red serious looking bruises...

Parents coaches didn't think it was that big of a deal.

That is WAY too much in my opinion. Pitching that many innings in that many games at that age is asking for trouble. It's also not developing your daughter or anyone else who might be able to contribute down the road. What happens if #1 gets hurt -- twists an ankle or takes a batted ball off her pitching arm? Is your team just going to quit playing?

Winning is certainly more fun than losing. But losing is more fun than not being able to play because your coaches just had to have that $30 hunk of fake wood and plastic.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
over use

Turned out pitcher #1 pitched over 160 batters in about 36 hours at 12U.
She had Monday off then pitched Middle School .... and on and on...

Yes, I would like my DD pitching more, but my concern is that what if something does happen to #1.
My DD isn't ready for THAT much ..

In addition, why doesn't anyone think something is wrong with this or that the pitching coach says the bruises will keep going until after the season ....

I'm also concerned about the coaching at this point ...
.. as you said ... pitcher health more important than $30 "idol".

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
While your daughter would benefit from reduced time for #1 I never got the impression that was your concern. You have a legitimate concern for that pitcher. In any other context it would constitute child abuse.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
over-pitching

Yes, my DD woud benefit from more innings.
I would like #1 to be better cared for as well.

Pitcher #1 only pitched one game yesterday .... ended in a tie.
#2 and 3 also each pitched a game...won both of these.

My DD didn't walk a single batter, no errors in the field, 4 hits, the rest infield grounders or pop ups. We won 7-1.
She isn't that fast, but she varies what speed she has very well and hit her corners perfectly.

Something must have transpired over the week to alter coaches approach.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The vast majority of coaches have absolutely ZERO concern for their players, and parents are too stupid and/or scared to say, "Stop."

I was the worst pitcher's dad in the world. I allowed coaches to pitch her and pitch my DD. So, now my DD can't sleep on her right side. One of her shoulder tendons has stretched so much that she sometimes has to physically move it with her left hand to put it in the correct position.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
over pitching 12U

I think these parents are "former Slugger" parents.
Not happy about only one game with other pitcher pitching this weekend.
Want more, want to "tell" all about the conquests ...
They are sooo living through her 12U success ...

Personally I think my DD could be a pretty good pitcher ... lots of work to do ...patience ... long term goals ...
She isn't going to be 6 feet ... but she may possibly go to D2 D3 ... if SHE wants to..

Huge quote from a U11 Premier Soccer coach this season in our reagion...his team is currently KILLING every team ...
"the girls on my U11 team will NOT be the best players in two three years"
"the early ones are not going to college for soccer"

Our goal is to keep working on mechanics .... slow progession ...

Eventually she will be the one they depend on ....not flashy, but quietly ends each inning .... lots of 4-3, 6-3, F-9 type plays ...

This poor kid (#1 pitcher) could be good ...but pushing her this hard this much now...
it just may backfire on them....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi