The glove arm: observations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
In the offseason mechanical makeover of my DD's mechanics, we arrived at the point where it was time to correct glove arm issues. As Mark H would suggest, I studied a bunch of video of what the elite (D1 and northward) pitchers do with their glove arm. There seems to be three fairly distinct glove arm mechanics, specifically talking about what the glove arm does as the ball begins it's forward path after the backswing. (Disclaimer:I am a student here and I merely submit my observations for your comments.)

1. The fluid upswing (Finch, Hillhouse for example--though these 2 look quite different due to their different style of backswings). Many use this upswing style.
2. The circular glove-hand path, like 'wax off' from the karate kid movie. Many video examples of this style online, including Ueno, Amanda Scarborough.
3. The punch-type 'jab.' Cat is a prime example, but the Sarah Pauly slow-mo on this site looks like she is close to this with a bit of the circular hand as above.

Indeed, many blur the lines or use a combo of the three, but this is what I'm seeing.

From what I have observed in video, Cat is perhaps the best at keeping her glove on-line consistently. This week, I incorporated Cat's 'jab' mechanic into DD's makeover (switch from upswing/circular) with great results.

I'm wondering what others observe and teach and thought this would be a good discussion topic.

Vdub

Jul 21, 2008
I have study Hillhouse free video on his site and I see the same thing that you do, his glove hand goes out to the left and then circles back to his body. Many other pitchers do the same thing. I see very few pitchers that keep the glove hand pointed toward the catcher threw the entire pitch.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I believe you will find that most / all open style pitchers must pull the glove to the left slightly. If they got fully open and pulled the glove straight back their elbow would hit their body .

The weight of the glove and glove arm is a counter-balance for the force made by the windmill circle of the other arm. That force (Distraction force) pulls you to the throwing side. The weight of the glove and glove arm helps keep you balanced as the momentum drives you forward, like a tight rope walker uses that long balance pole. The less the pitcher weighs AND/OR the slower the forward momentum speed is, the more the force will affect the pitcher.

This is a major reason why 'Pixie' pitchers can get pulled so far off the powerline. Many times they will lean way over to the glove side to counter that, or, they swing the glove way wide instead.

I have always been a proponent of the 'Shove the glove' system. Shove it fast and hard enough to open your shoulders at the start of the pitch. This will also help get the hips open as well as one will follow the other.

I would also have them 'Shove' it straight towards their catcher's glove, look down their arm over the top of the glove webbing, using the bent spot as a rifle sight, always keeping the catcher's mask in view. Never bring their glove so high they lost site of their catcher's mask and focus on that mask until the ball was released.

As the ball came down in the downswing, they would pull the glove back to the 'Holster' position with the glove open. That would put the glove halfway to cover as much area as quickly as possible in the event of a hit back at them.

Hal

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45