The Future of Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Would you agree with the below statements and if you disagree, why?:

1) Historically, the "riseball" has been very effective and could be thrown for high strikes. But because of the recent changes in the strike zone with the lowering of the high strike from arm pit to sternum, this type of pitch will be less effective in the future and will become more of a set-up pitch than a pitch thrown for a strike?

2) As pitching distances become longer (ex. 43') at earlier ages, speed will become less important than excellent movement, location, change of speed, and pitch strategy?

3) The reason a "fastball" works at the 10U and younger ages is that a) the players are still learning how to hit; b) the distances between the pitching plate and home plate are shorter (less reaction time); c) less movement of the ball for breaking pitches because of the shorter distance and the surface area of the ball is less (10" or 11" versus a 12" ball) and all things being equal, a smaller ball is more difficult to hit.

4) As soon as a pitcher is physically developed (so as to lessen any arm and shoulder injuries), she should learn movement/breaking pitches?

5) We all need to rethink how much time pitchers practice their craft. QUALITY of practice time may be more important and less injurious (ex. Washington Nationals pitching phenom Strasburg's season ending elbow injury) than amount of quanity of practice hours?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) Riseballs will always be effective. Softball batters swing at pitches they think they can hit, not at pitches within the strike zone.

2) Movement becomes important at 43 feet. But again, "spin, spot, speed" is what pitching is all about. Pitching is giving the batter as little time as possible to react to the flight of the ball. The more time you give them to react, the better her chance of hitting the ball. So, a 60 MPH drop ball is always better than a 55 MPH drop ball, and a 55 MPH drop ball is better than a 50 MPH drop ball.

People seem to want to hear, "It doesn't matter if your DD only throws 55 MPH. She can be a great D1 pitcher." That isn't true.

3) Yes--absolutely. I'll go further than that--10U, 12U and 14U batters suck. Until a batter is good enough to marry her mind and her body, they are reacting, not attacking.

4) They can certainly work on breaking pitches and can work on spinning the ball and getting some movement. But, I haven't seen any 14U kids who have mastered a breaking pitch.

5) We need to re-think how many innings pitchers throw. The problem, IMHO, is not the usual 60 minute practice. During a practice, pitchers don't throw that many pitches at maximum exertion. The problem is the pitching batting practice and then pitching 3 or 4 games over a weekend.

Sep 17, 2009
We are moving to 14U and 43 feet this year, as I think are all the organizations in our state (Illinois) for the first time across the board. We have all first year 13-year olds for the most part (one second year kid). Our pitchers aren't really ready for this. I'm assuming many other 14U teams/pitchers aren't totally ready for this either.

I'm just wildly interested to see what happens : >

And looking for any thoughts on all the questions Socal asked and Ray answered re: pitcher development, as well as any thoughts on how to ready your entire team to play well in this challenging environment.

Tks for the topic.

Jun 13, 2010
1. The riseball will still be efective. Maybe a little less but still a good pitch. If a hitter thinks its close she wont let it just go and hope the call goes her way. Plus not all umpires will call it any different.
2.Speed will always be a factor. The most important thing speed does for you is make anything offspeed more efective. Example:Throw two pitches at 50 then come with 65 its not the acual speed but the CHANGE in speed that does it.

3. Yes,Because you dont have to be real strong to throw fairly fast but hitting takes quite a lot of strength. girls this age havent caught up yet.

4.Yes but location or control should be mastered first.

5.Yes and no. Pitching is I believe THE most difficult thing in all of sports to master. So the answer is LOTS of quality practice time.

Jun 3, 2010
I'm glad all the players and parents of the boys teams that I have coached in the past didn't worry about going from 45'6" at age 12 to pitching at 60' when they moved up to 13-15 yr old league.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm glad all the players and parents of the boys teams that I have coached in the past didn't worry about going from 45'6" at age 12 to pitching at 60' when they moved up to 13-15 yr old league.

LOL - Yes, its not like its just your players having to adjust and the other teams don't! Whether its 3 ft or 15 ft, everybody makes the change at the same time, some are just more physically ready than their peers when that time comes.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
There was discussion of moving our 13U rec to 43 feet. Some of the kids on that team (the thirteen year olds and the fourteens who are legal to play) will be pitching their HS seasons at 43ft for the first time ever. However, with not enough kids to field both a 12U and a 14U (we've got enough to have 13U teams across the county) it would be a huge jump for the 10U pitchers who throw at 35 to move up to 43ft. Thank goodness they didn't move it.

That situation right there, however, poses the question as to when should you move it? When, when? It will be interesting to see the pitching at higher levels, but more interesting will be the pitchers at lower levels... rec leagues and poor travel teams are only going to get worse.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
SoCal - very interesting points to start this thread and good observations.

I would ditto everything sluggers says except:

10U, 12U and 14U batters suck

i wouls say the MAJORITY of 10U, 12U and 14U batters suck. Some teams have amazing kids in these group.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks for all of the comments so far.

Riseball - I have to believe it will become less effective if the top of the strike zone is now lower because batters will adjust to the lower strike zone and layoff the high pitch. It might still be a good pitch but just not as dominating as it once was? DD's PC used it almost exclusively 20 years ago and it was a very effective pitch for her in college. Just wondering what the next "go to" pitch will be in the future?

shockjock - I assume you were kidding about 40' for 10U? That is a lot of distance to cover for an 8YO with an 11" ball.

Fastball (particularly the two-seam) - I don't know how effective this pitch is from my DD current distance of 30ft (8U). It's suppose to tail at the end but I don't think she can a) throw it with enough spin and b) there is not enough distance with the ball being released at 25ft to allow for much inward or outward movement? Anyone teaching it at this age and distance with positive results?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy