The flute player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Sounds like the coach should have signed up for 8U Premier Diamond Elite Fast Pitch instead of rec 8U rec softball.

So just because a player is at 8U rec they should not learn anything useful?

I am not saying there aren't different expectations for different levels of competition but the requirement of showing up to practices/games should be the same across the board. You aren't doing anyone any favors by having zero accountability. Even at 8U my DD knew that she signed up for a team sport and made a commitment to a team. On that night halfway through the season when the neighbor kids were outside playing and she wanted to skip practice to run around with them, guess where she ended up? At practice.

Set expectations young and set them up for success throughout their sports careers and life. And no, by expectations I don't mean every girl that signs up for 8U rec ball is going to be the next Aubree Munro or Monica Abbot but they can show up on time to practices, games, classes, job interviews, ect...

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
:LOL: In all seriousness I agree with the idea of accountability but unless the OP specifically states that the kid didn't want to go to practice we have to assume the parent(s) were the ones who were lacking in the accountability department...

I agree, this thread has probably gotten off-topic as far as being related to the actual OP. I wrote off the OP after reading it the first time, they have an issue with the parents and want to punish the kid. Time to step back from coaching.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Lol......ummmm that is a satirical website. Actually takes it a step further beyond our thought that 8u Rec is essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of things and indicates how inconsequential 13u Travel Ball is in relation to a kid's future.

The Dingerville Times
thedingervilletimes.com

1. Satirical news website with a focus on youth baseball.

ha, @texasheat just adding a little humor to the thread, and yes, I was aware that dingerville is satire. Love, love, love some of the posts there.

Mar 28, 2014

I am not saying there aren't different expectations for different levels of competition but the requirement of showing up to practices/games should be the same across the board. You aren't doing anyone any favors by having zero accountability. Even at 8U my DD knew that she signed up for a team sport and made a commitment to a team. On that night halfway through the season when the neighbor kids were outside playing and she wanted to skip practice to run around with them, guess where she ended up? At practice.

Set expectations young and set them up for success throughout their sports careers and life. And no, by expectations I don't mean every girl that signs up for 8U rec ball is going to be the next Aubree Munro or Monica Abbot but they can show up on time to practices, games, classes, job interviews, ect...
I have to chuckle at people thinking that a 8 year old is going to learn life lessons about accountability over something that is out of their control such as DRIVING TO PRACTICE. When 8 year olds start being able to drive themselves to practice you can start teaching them about accountability and commitment.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
I have to chuckle at people thinking that a 8 year old is going to learn life lessons about accountability over something that is out of their control such as DRIVING TO PRACTICE. When 8 year olds start being able to drive themselves to practice you can start teaching them about accountability and commitment.

Just remember what generation was the cause of the millennial plague... (y)

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia

Did she end up at practice because she made the decision or you made the decision for her? Because that is kinda the point of this whole thread.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ahhh...
Can see the many views.....
Of how to raise children!

I find it interesting how many are on the side of the youngster who hasnt attended.
And yet not reflect on the others kids that have!

Another interesting point.
Seems there are league standards in place for equal playing time.
Yet no league standards on attendance.
Hmmmmm? Wonder what that might promote?

Locally there are many rec leagues families can choose.
Many families become aware of
'who's running which one'.
Some bring in clinics.
Some dont.
People become aware of where and why other families are picking which league.
Gossip/knowledge spreads.
These leagues compete against eachother.
Yes 8u is 8u.
When it is terrible in 8u.
And/or people see how coaches handle things...
They know going into 10u wether they want to stick around or not.
( good practices or?)

Locally ( so cal) The growth of 10u travel ball is astonishing!!

*Is there a more viable reason for 10u travel to grow at that level ?

Real difference maybe...
The teams in travel standards are set by the coach...

*please note i am not on either side of what the right decision is for the op kid scenario!
Not enough info to support a decision.

Bringing up discussion points that can be addressed and the fact remains...
There is a cause and affect no matter the decision to this situation.

*Everyone making this a great post!! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut