The beginning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I wanted to start and say thank you to DFP for this forum on pitching. As a complete Newb to this Pitching journey with my 9 yr old DD, this place is a gold mine in knowledge. So far from reading through the sticking etc. I realize that my focus in the beginning process is NOT to teach my DD how to "Pitch". My goal starting out is learning to "Throw" underhand. That being said, my question is should I even be concerned with wind up, drive mechanics etc. in the beginning? Should that be after she can play catch consistently? I guess because she wants to jump in and do it all now lol.

Jun 4, 2014
I would resist all that as much as I could and just focus on learning to throw. If I could go back, that would be the number one thing I would change.

Oct 2, 2017
I would resist all that as much as I could and just focus on learning to throw. If I could go back, that would be the number one thing I would change.

That was my thinking. Its kind of hard. She has only done 3 sessions at home, and she wants to go ahead and pitch LOL. So in my mind, I'm thinking this is a new leaning experience for both her and me. I don't want it to be so much drill, drill, drill, or play catch that she loses desire to pitch. So, I'm like what the heck, go ahead she pitch some. Just to make it fun. No correcting on pitching.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You want her to get the right mechanics. So, start with the IR in the Classroom drills. That is absolutely the best starting point.

You have to teach a little of the the windup and leg drive when she starts.

The first thing she will do is start leaning forward when she throws. You want her stay tall and keep her torso centered.

May 9, 2019
Ah so the lil slugger now wants to pitch! That is awesome.
As others have said, start with the IR in the classroom. My DD started pitching and had to reteach everything, and wish I had started it the right way instead.
Once I read up on the IR method, I watched Java's video on the "lock it in" drill and the 12 o clock show it drill. I did not
work the drive/stride etc until I could get my DD to throw somewhat straight.
She's been working on this since May of 2019, and she's now working on her overall mechanics. Still not even close to being there.
Prepare for a LOT of work, frustration, etc. If you thought teaching hitting/fielding was tough, you will now see why
pitching, especially TEACHING pitching, it not for most people. Good luck!

Oct 2, 2017
You want her to get the right mechanics. So, start with the IR in the Classroom drills. That is absolutely the best starting point.

You have to teach a little of the the windup and leg drive when she starts.

The first thing she will do is start leaning forward when she throws. You want her stay tall and keep her torso centered.

I've been reading a lot in the classroom drills. Have been reading the drive mechanics section as well.

Nov 8, 2018
At this age learning ir correctly is so key. Finding the whip as I yell at my dd from center field. Whip it. Find the whip. Without it there is less pace, spin and spot or accuracy. That’s half the battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
How's her overhand ("regular") throw? Everything fine there?

I just see so many girls at this age with bad throws, and no one is working with them on that. I like to ensure the normal throw is correct before I move on to pitching. I'm one of those who feel throwing is the most important part of the game at young ages.

Oct 2, 2017

I just see so many girls at this age with bad throws, and no one is working with them on that. I like to ensure the normal throw is correct before I move on to pitching. I'm one of those who feel throwing is the most important part of the game at young ages.

For the most part its fairly decent. Not terrible but not the best either.

May 9, 2019

To your point, I think it's also prudent to mention that pitching underhand is exactly the opposite of throwing overhand. It's from thigh to shoulder, vs shoulder to thigh.. at least for IR. This is per Bill Hillhouse, which makes sense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez