Thankful for my DD's coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2016
I have not always agreed with what they have done, but after reading this forum for awhile I am thankful that my girls were able to play for the coaches they played for. Not perfect by any means but wow there are a lot of horror stories.

Jun 12, 2015
I like to think the bad ones are the exception but you're so right. They definitely do make you appreciate the good ones more. It's a hard job and at least at my dd's level (10U) mostly uncompensated.

I have coached softball for a long, long time. I give so much of my life to it .... so many hours each day, each week, each year. It is very hard work. Much harder than any "real job" could possibly be.

I have made great friends and had great relationships over the years. However, I know they are all "just passin' through" and I expect absolutely nothing in return. The joy coaching gives me is more than enough and I often feel like that it's too much .... how it isn't fair that someone gets to do something he loves so much.

One thing I will say, selfish or not, is that when someone takes the time out of their day to pick up the phone or walk up to me and genuinely and wholeheartedly thank me for what I do, it has a profound effect on me. After someone does so, it isn't unusual for me to have a few tears well up after the light is out and the wife is asleep. Of course they are brushed aside quickly, replaced by the need to go over tomorrow's practice plan one last time or to make sure tomorrow's in-game strategy is on point.

I cannot begin to tell you how much those small moments are appreciated.

Apr 28, 2014
Great points!
DD is becoming a very good player at 12 going on 13. The biggest factor in her development has been the coaches we have been lucky enough to surround her with. Looking back each on helped her in a different way. We were fortunate to find the right coach at the right time for her. Hats to the ladies and gentlemen who give up time to coach our girls.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DH and I have been on both sides of the dugout fence with years of baseball and softball. DS and DD have had great coaches and not so great ones (hopefully DH & I fall towards the top of the spectrum) but one thing has always been constant - our expectation of how they treat their coaches. DD always thanks all of her coaches - after practice, after games, after clinics - always. We understand how many hours a coach devotes to coaching (even the not so great ones) and a thank you may be all that they get in return. We have also stressed to the kids that they can learn SOMETHING from every coach that they encounter. It may be one little nugget said a different way that strikes a cord with them so we expect them to be attentive, respectful and to have a positive attitude. It is frustrating sometimes but at the end of the day we are hopefully teaching them life skills that they will use later on...

Jun 12, 2015
Even the absolute worst coaches have lessons you can learn from, no doubt about that. Not always the ones they thought they were teaching, but still.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog