Tennis Balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Warrior, It is so simple. The student stands in the box, puts a tennis ball in the chucker - and swings it, exactly like her swing. If you teach hitting, you will know what to do.

We face the backstop, so we don't have to chase so many tennis balls.

Ok I guess I will have to buy a chucker now!! lol

Is it a one handed drill or two???

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Amy before it got to RVP, it was presented at a coaches ( NFCA) meeting down south. A group of college coaches from this area started using it in camps around 5 years ago.

Jun 6, 2013
Michigan
We have used Tennis balls in the following ways:

- Have girls in front of a net, hit the tennis ball into the ground (bouncers) from side to side. They have to keep balls in front of them without letting ball into net behind them. Make it a game, hit them 10 in row if you miss one you out, get all 10 you keep going.

- Put tennis balls into a tennis ball machine, have the girls bunt the balls. Have machine about 10-15 feet away, tennis machine will shoot balls out fast girls have to bunt balls.

- Outfielder are hit tennis balls high in the air, they have to catch the without popping out the glove.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I like Tennis Balls, what you are using them for?

I generally use them for fielding and for BP practice. The girls like them for hitting cause they go far and they try to get it over the fence. However on monday I was hitting the snotz out of them to the girls and having them do fielding drills. Working on reaction times and timing the hops. It let me find out who my SS was going to be. .

Apr 13, 2013
JMO and I like the tennis balls.

Hitting and fly balls are great, once the tennis ball hits the ground they are no good. They have way to much bounce and will not teach the players the correct way to position themselves if they cannot actually catch the ball before it hits the ground.

Just be careful what you are using them for.

Apr 1, 2010
Warrior, It is so simple. The student stands in the box, puts a tennis ball in the chucker - and swings it, exactly like her swing. If you teach hitting, you will know what to do.

We face the backstop, so we don't have to chase so many tennis balls.

We have a chucker, but it has started to be used for its original purpose more than a pure drill tool. :-D We have a young dog who loves to run and a fairly small back yard. DD stands at one end and uses her normal swing to chuck the ball against the opposite fence. Thwack! Dog chases it down like a lunatic and brings it back for a few minutes of keep away, then tug of war, after which DD is finally able to chuck it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes