Tennis Balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I don't usually but I have seen them used the following ways.

1. On tees. A ball is a ball.

2. Bare hand outfield work to get proper catching technique.

3. Outfield fly balls with glove often hit with a tennis racket; bad technique will generally bounce out of the glove.

4. Rise ball hitting practice. Tennis balls bounce.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
We use then a lot for hitting and reaction on fielding with bare hands. I like them cause they bounce a lot makes the gurlz move a bit more, plus it doesn't sting the hands.

I also like to use them for "how to practice getting hit at the plate" I will actually hit the girls with the tennis balls and work with them if they get by a pitch, where they should position the bat and how to react to it. That's always a fun one. I was just hunting for more ideas...........

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Seeing as how I am a tennis player, I've used them with both of my kids - mostly when they were younger. I could really rocket ground balls and hit high pop ups. The kids didn't have to be afraid because a tennis ball won't hurt you (even if you get hit in the neck with an overhead smash - well maybe it stings a little ha ha) I used to do this as a little league helper way back when the kids were 8 - now I have high school boys coming up to me saying "hey! We remember when you used to hit us tennis balls"

We'd put three of them in the outfield and hit a tennis ball in between them so they could practice calling for it. This drill had mixed results - it worked, but then the boys would get silly and basically play "tackle keep-away" and see who could come up with the ball. I think that's the drill the HS boys remember so fondly :)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
1. Used for one hand hitting drills off a T.
2. Outfield drills since we hit them with a tennis racket indoors or outdoors. They tend to drift and harder to catch( need soft hands)
3. A college drill for infield. Stand infront of a mat,wall,net. We stand roughly 10 feet in front of them and they have to field them as fast and we bounce them in with a glove on. All they have time for is to catch and release.

Jun 26, 2012
I use tennis balls alot with hitting for my DD. We hit about 40 tennis balls everytime we hit in the backyard. I bounce the tennis balls to her from front toss to teach her to wait on the bounce and to pull the trigger, like waiting on a change up. I bounce them to her from the side and even behind. Behind is hard because I dont let her look at me, just face forward and wait for the ball to show up. I tell her to hit it at the top of the bounce. So it develops quickness to the ball and patience.

Important thing with my DD is just pulling the trigger at the right time, same swing every time, adjust to inside or outside.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
packhand. Bustos drill might help. She can do it without you present. If you have a concrete area. CB does this drill. Hold the ball out with one hand around head height. Drop it and hit it after it bounces up from the concrete. It will bounce different each time and it will teach her patience.

I use them for outfield practice. They fly about 100 - 125' when used with the little blue mechanical pitching machine that is popular with leagues that have machine pitch for boys. That happens to be a good distance for training 10U outfielders, and the machine takes some of the variables out which isn't necessarily a bad thing with younger girls.

The tennis balls are bouncy and hard to catch .... they reward good technique .... and most importantly, the girls are not afraid of them. Great use of tennis balls!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes