temp fence gap and batted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2009
There aren't any base awards that are based on "the time the ball went into dead ball territory". Base awards are determined from either the base held at the time of the pitch, or the runner's position at the time of a throw.

Bretman - not that it is applicable in my example b/c the fielder did not have possession of the ball, but to your comment above, how do we interpret Rule 8.G Exception 1 - When a fielder loses possession of the ball, and the ball leaves live ball territory or becomes blocked. EFFECT: Each runner is awarded one base from the last base touched at the tie the ball entered the dead ball area or became blocked?

Addressed to Bret, but let me respond.
In order to "lose possession" one must have previously possessed. The OP never indicated that the fielder had possession, but that it deflected off the glove.

Jun 10, 2014
Thanks TC - Yes, if you skim back over my comment you'll see that I did acknowldege that the situation in my OP was not applicable to Rule 8.G -- in fact I couldn't find a rule that indicates what happens in my OP. But BM explanation made sense.

In the post you responded to, I am asking BM to help me with the interpretation of 8.G in relation to his comment that there aren't any base awards that are based on "the time the ball went into dead ball territory".

Jan 20, 2009
GD, what BM posts is accurate (as usual). There is no rule reference about base awards "at the time the ball goes out of play"
Not sure what you are asking, since you acknowledge that 8...g is not relevant to the OP- i think...

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Gundog, you found the one base award that is an exception. When I typed that "there aren't any....." I was thinking, "Well, there might be one in there somewhere, just not one that applies to the plays we're discussing".

The rule you found is often illustrated by this play: Runner coming into third base. The throw comes in, third baseman gloves it, has possession, then goes to slap the tag on the runner and the ball flies out of his glove and goes out of play.

This one case is treated differently than when a thrown, batted, pitched or deflected ball goes out of play.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
Gundog, you found the one base award that is an exception. When I typed that "there aren't any....." I was thinking, "Well, there might be one in there somewhere, just not one that applies to the plays we're discussing".
There are a couple of other awards that aren't applicable...
- 8-5J: Unintentionally carrying the ball from live ball area is 1 base from time fielder (w/ ball) left live ball area.
- 8-5K: Intentionally carrying, kicking, pushing or throwing a live ball from live ball area is 2 bases from the time the fielder left or the ball was kicked, pushed or thrown.

Isn't throwing already covered by the overthrow rule?

Mar 15, 2014
There are a couple of other awards that aren't applicable...
- 8-5J: Unintentionally carrying the ball from live ball area is 1 base from time fielder (w/ ball) left live ball area.

Funny, but if a player enters the opposing dugout to tag a runner who missed the plate it is considered an unintentional carry and only a one base award.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Funny, but if a player enters the opposing dugout to tag a runner who missed the plate it is considered an unintentional carry and only a one base award.

It's because it's not being done with the intent of gaining some advantage not intended by the rules. The defender is just trying to complete a tag, which they have every right to do. It's not their fault that the runner went into the dugout.

In contrast, intentionally throwing/carrying the ball out of play would be done in an attempt to kill the play and freeze the runners.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877