Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
There are no charts..do what you want. If you want to assume the other team is going to screw up as your strategy go right ahead..
Not assuming that at all but you have to admit that it needs to be part of the equation and in those charts, it isn't. That creates flawed decision making.

Jun 8, 2016
Not assuming that at all but you have to admit that it needs to be part of the equation and in those charts, it isn't. That creates lawed decision making.
If including that changed the outcome by a lot, say like 10U, then really this whole conversation is stupid anyway right? It is 10U..who cares. Develop your players. Otherwise at a decent level of play a sac bunt doesn't result in an out, what, maybe 1 in 10 times?

Dec 11, 2010
Where are the charts for 18u and 16u and 14u and 12u and 10u? Those are the only ones relative to this discussion board. Comparing D1 fielders to 10u-18u is not apples to apples.
Idk, stand by while I chart the trends from d1 to d3 and then compare to D1 baseball. Anything else I could help you with?

If you took a minute to read the charts before responding, you would see that there isn’t really much difference.

MAYBE, there isn’t all that much difference with lower level tb, if that’s your thing.

OR, just keep guessing.

Jun 8, 2016
You're addicted to arguing with yourself
That doesn't even make any sense unless you think you are me..which is weird...

Your problem is you don't understand the charts
so you are deflecting by giving me sh*%..that is fine flail away.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
Calling a bunt a sac bunt is conclusory - you don’t really know until the AB is over. Especially with runners on bases. You might just create some havoc, e.g., fielding errors, throwing errors, misplayed fielder’s choice. But I appreciate that there are a lot of calculations involved which I am not cognizant of.

Jul 19, 2021
If including that changed the outcome by a lot, say like 10U, then really this whole conversation is stupid anyway right? It is 10U..who cares. Develop your players. Otherwise at a decent level of play a sac bunt doesn't result in an out, what, maybe 1 in 10 times?
So finally we find disconnect It happens more than that at the 18u Gold level to my eyes. You would be hard pressed ot find 3b with 90% efficiency at throwing out bunts at the 18u Gold level. Too much speed.

The issue is your expectations of fielding efficiency don't match up with mine and obviously others, thereby the disconnect. You will know only after watching seasons of 18u Gold Ball. A few games here and there will not tell you the real story.

Jul 19, 2021
Idk, stand by while I chart the trends from d1 to d3 and then compare to D1 baseball. Anything else I could help you with?
It was a rhetorical question.

And one that was meant to make a point. Point being, there aren't any. Just like you said.

Jun 8, 2016
So finally we find disconnect It happens more than that at the 18u Gold level to my eyes. You would be hard pressed ot find 3b with 90% efficiency at throwing out bunts at the 18u Gold level. Too much speed.

The issue is your expectations of fielding efficiency don't match up with mine and obviously others, thereby the disconnect. You will know only after watching seasons of 18u Gold Ball. A few games here and there will not tell you the real story.
Fair enough..I am not going to convince you otherwise. No need to patronize though, I have watched my fair share of 18U ball even though my kid is only 14u.

Jul 19, 2021
So 18U Gold ball is that much different than D1/D2/D3 softball which show similar outcomes? Do they all get on the juice between the summer and spring season of their Freshmen year? Also no need to patronize me, there are enough games streamed live that I have watched my fair share of high level 18U softball even though my kid is only in 14U.
College ball players can be 22 years old. Gold Ball players are 16-18. How many bunts can a 3b field in practice between the ages of 16 and 22 and how much more efficient would that make them?