Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
College ball players can be 22 years old. Gold Ball players are 16-18. How many bunts can a 3b field in practice between the ages of 16 and 22 and how much more efficient would that make them?
Like I said in my edited response, and earlier, if you think sac bunting (e.g. squaring around to bunt) is a good idea go for it. If you want somebody to bunt in that situation I would rather they just setup to bunt for a hit. That is what OU did with Coleman a number of times last year. I don't think she ever actually squared around
in a situation where traditionalists would call for squaring around.

Jul 19, 2021
Like I said in my edited response, and earlier, if you think sac bunting (e.g. squaring around to bunt) is a good idea go for it. If you want somebody to bunt in that situation I would rather they just setup to bunt for a hit. That is what OU did with Coleman a number of times last year. I don't think she ever actually squared around
in a situation where traditionalists would call for squaring around.
Honestly I care less about the decision to bunt or not than I do about this fallacy that there are charts/analytics out there that show bunting is not a good strategy in fastpitch. That is just blatantly false by any metric. Those charts don't exist. Sure there are charts out there that show runs scored stats based on where the runners are on base but those don't allow for those bunts that are successful. Using those charts mean that you are assuming the bunter is going to be out. That makes the charts useless.

Jun 8, 2016
Using those charts mean that you are assuming the bunter is going to be out. That makes the charts useless.
I am not going to disagree with this. If there is a good probability that somebody bunting (sacrifice or not) will get on first then using those charts to say bunting is bad is wrong. You would then have to look at the statistics on what is more probable, getting a runner on first and second or first and third, etc swinging away vs. those probabilities for bunting in order to make a determination.

Jul 19, 2021
I am not going to disagree with this. If there is a good probability that somebody bunting (sacrifice or not) will get on first then using those charts to say bunting is bad is wrong. You would then have to look at the statistics on what is more probable, getting a runner on first and second or first and third, etc swinging away vs. those probabilities for bunting in order to make a determination.
Doesn't even have to be a good possibility. Even a 10% success rate of the bunter (that you alluded to earlier) would change the numbers significantly because look at the numbers for runners on 1b and 2b with no outs vs on 2b with 1 out. If those numbers aren't included in the analytics, you aren't getting the complete picture.

Jun 8, 2016
Doesn't even have to be a good possibility. Even a 10% success rate of the bunter (that you alluded to earlier) would change the numbers significantly because look at the numbers for runners on 1b and 2b with no outs vs on 2b with 1 out. If those numbers aren't included in the analytics, you aren't getting the complete picture.
90% of the time you would worse off by bunting, 10% you may or may not be better off (there is a nonzero probability that hitting away would be at least as good)

Jun 8, 2016
Also while we are the business of assuming players mess up..I have seen plenty kids mess up bunting too…it goes both ways 😉

Dec 11, 2010
As usual, i regret posting the charts.

As far as I can tell, it’s because some guy thinks scrawny, slow 16 year olds can’t field bunts good enough to get other scrawny , slow 16 year olds out.

Not that it would matter that P5 players make bad throws and screw up too. They just do it quicker with harder throws lol

Jul 19, 2021
Also while we are the business of assuming players mess up..I have seen plenty kids mess up bunting too…it goes both ways 😉
Good point. How often do they mess up a bunt? Lol.....once again, we don't have a chart for that. We don't know how much it would effect the numbers. It would be a guess.

Point being, there are many more factors involved than just those numbers on the charts. Using those charts alone is oversimplifying the situation.

Jul 19, 2021
As usual, i regret posting the charts.

As far as I can tell, it’s because some guy thinks scrawny, slow 16 year olds can’t field bunts good enough to get other scrawny , slow 16 year olds out.

Not that it would matter that P5 players make bad throws and screw up too. They just do it quicker with harder throws lol
You couldn't be further from the truth. I guess my communication skills are severely lacking!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06