Team with Heart and Drive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2013
East Peoria, IL
Great group of girls, but just seem to go through the motions. Go deep into Sunday, but always come up short. Might be my fault. I'm not a high energy type coach. Maybe that's were it needs to start. Any suggestions?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Might be my fault. I'm not a high energy type coach. Maybe that's were it needs to start. Any suggestions?
I was at the juco D1 championship one year, and I walked through the staging area. There were 16 teams very successful teams, all with records like 60-5. No two of those coaches were the same--there were screamer coaches, intense coaches, yapping coaches, laid back, and funny coaches. There were all different kinds of people coaching very successful teams. So, I don't think it is you.

Are you competitive?

Could you be a little more specific as to what happens? Does your team fall apart? Or do you get a couple of bad breaks? Does your pitcher get tired?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Great group of girls, but just seem to go through the motions. Go deep into Sunday, but always come up short. Might be my fault. I'm not a high energy type coach. Maybe that's were it needs to start. Any suggestions?

As Sluggers mentioned, there are different styles of coaching and my biggest suggestion would be to choose an AC who compliments your style.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

What age?

When you say they ''just seem to go through the motions,'' what do you mean? What kind of behavior do you see in other teams that you don't see in yours? What do teams that don't just go through the motions look like?

Other posters noted that coaches have different styles. I'd also suggest that some teams have different personalities. DD played on a team last year that won several tournaments. It was not what I'd call a high-energy team. They were 'professional' in that they'd run on and off the field and didn't goof around much. But they were quiet, showed little emotion and were not visibly energetic in much that they did. If the team instead had been losing, some might've said that was going through the motions. But I think it was just their personality, and the fact that they were coming to play ball and weren't too caught up in the ups and downs of any given game or tournament.

Another thing that often happens is that the coaches and parents want to win more than the players. That's especially true in the younger ages. Sometimes coaches and parents interpret this seeming indifference to winning/losing as reasons the team doesn't do better. You've got a good team if the're going deep into tournaments, but I'm not clear on what you're describing as going through the motions.

Oct 22, 2009
My DD's 18u was extremely competitive and had the most laid back coaches of any I'd ever seen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse