Team split, what to do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2011
My daughters team 10u moving to 12u had a split. The 2 coaches had a disagreement, the head coach kept the majority of the girls while the asst took 3. For the last several weeks the coach has been looking for new players and has not had a lot of success and we haven't played in a tournament in over a month. How long do you stay and wait for the players to come? At this point is the commitment to the team over?

This has been a very stressful time. The majority of tryouts in the area have already occurred and the teams looking are quite a distance away. I feel like we are between a rock and a hard place with very few options open to us.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
how far is "quite a distance"? No disrespect, but with travel SB,
an extra 10-20 minutes should be a no brainer to find an established program.
The same thing happened in my city a couple years back. I drive DD about 15 miles to a
fantastic program. Sounds like you had a couple coaches playing daddy ball

Sep 21, 2011
To go to one of the top organizations is between 50-70 miles away. With traffic we are looking at a drive of 1 1/2 each way. If she was older that would be something we would consider, but at 10u/12u we just can't justify it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
By older I hope you mean she can drive herself. I know a couple people on the board drive 1 ½ but there is no way we would do it or consider it.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
For the remainder of the fall season, advertise for pick up players. See if the coach can find a few to help out and keep the remainder of the team sharp. First of January, hold tryouts again. Hopefully some of the pick up girls may come, if you have been doing ok at the tournaments with the pick up girls, others in the area will know your team and know if they like your coaches style and may also show up. January also gives you some girls that were waiting until the very last to move up.

Jan 24, 2011
For the remainder of the fall season, advertise for pick up players. See if the coach can find a few to help out and keep the remainder of the team sharp. First of January, hold tryouts again. Hopefully some of the pick up girls may come, if you have been doing ok at the tournaments with the pick up girls, others in the area will know your team and know if they like your coaches style and may also show up. January also gives you some girls that were waiting until the very last to move up.

This is the best way to do it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This has been a very stressful time.

I wouldn't stress out too much. This stuff happens...lucky for you, it happened when she was 10YOA. It would be a lot worse if she were 15YOA or 16YOA. Learn from the experience, and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd