Teaching the chop slap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Indiana
Looking for specifics on the chop slap. The one that is chopped off the ground high into the air. Wondered if anyone had cues on hands, bat position, etc. Any help?

Jul 21, 2008
Keep your hands high (tell my slappers hands by your earhole)
Hit the top half of the ball.

I don't like the que chop ..that tells me that you slicing across the zone/plane of pitch, very little room for mistake this way. Again hands high and hit the top half of the ball.

Jul 26, 2010
I prefer a roll in the wrists at contact to "chopping" at the ball.

There is a great 4 part series on fastpitch tv with India Chiles teaching various slaps. Video is better then words, so here's part 1: [video]http://fastpitch.tv/2011/05/13/slapping-part-1-india-chiles-episode-158/[/video]

-W

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We call it the Watley Slap. If you want to really learn how to hit it hard into the ground , practice with the weighted TCB balls. It forces you to keep the bat on the ball longer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
We call it the Whatley Slap. If you want to really learn how to hit it hard into the ground , practice with the weighted TCB balls. It forces you to keep the bat on the ball longer.

Named after Natasha Watley?

I've finally decided to try those TCB balls. So I know it won't be too much longer before I do.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you are interested in the drill. Soft toss a regular softballs and see how high they bounce. Now toss 3 TCB balls and every fourth ball a normal softball. Watch how much higher they bounce , because the TCB ball stays on the bat longer and the kids learn to keep the normal softball on the bat longer. I give credit to hitter teaching me this drill. Howard Carrier did this drill with my dd and she went to a college camp and they couldn't believe how high she was hitting the ball into the top of the net off the pitching machines .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619