Teaching lefty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
"Even though she is fast relative to other 10 year olds, is that a guarantee that she will be fast when she physically matures?"

Why is it that people talk about fast running speed as if it is some pre-requisite to switching to the left? A shorter basepath and an occasional running start would be to some advantage whether a kid is slow, average, or fast. An advantage is an advantage.

With everything else equal and speed as the only variable: fast, average, or slow will all beat out more throws from the left.

We wouldn't argue that if a batter-runner fell down on her way to first, the defense would only have an advantage if it was hit to the SS because she has a great arm. No, it would also give every other player on the field better odds of making the out... regardless of who the ball was hit to. It is the same for lefty batters--an advantage is an advantage.

Am I missing something or does switching and becoming an equally good hitter on the left make sense regardless of running speed?

VW

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Yeah. I imagine if she struggles at the plate come spring the complaints will come. She probably will start to doubt herself as well. I guess we have some work in front of us this winter. I mentioned it to her Little League coach who didn't like the idea at all and didn't think she could be ready by the spring. On the other hand her club team coach (a former college head coach) is excited about the switch for her.

Does anyone have experience as to how long it took them to get up to a similar level of hitting from the right side?

My daughter switched from right to left 2 years ago as an 11yo. Her hitting coach told us she and her coach needed to commit to her batting only lefty - no switching back to right with 2 strikes. He told us players average 1 year before they get back to their previous power levels. It took almost exactly a year for her. In that year she learned to swing away, slap, punch bunt, power slap and sac bunt from the left. She's a quick kid, not blinding speed and that 2 steps closer to 1st makes a huge difference between safe and out on a hit to the infield.

May 12, 2008
Am I missing something or does switching and becoming an equally good hitter on the left make sense regardless of running speed?

VW

I wouldn't move an effective rh hitter for power and average with a sub five frame swing to the left side unless she was crazy fast like 2.6 or better. Maybe not then.

May 12, 2008
My daughter switched from right to left 2 years ago as an 11yo. Her hitting coach told us she and her coach needed to commit to her batting only lefty - no switching back to right with 2 strikes.

Amen. If you go left, go and never come back.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Sub Five Frame swing

That would be from start of the swing to finish (Contact with ball) it would be 5 frames of video (Snapshots). Barry Bonds was 4.5 frames of video which is why he had so many home runs. Even before the roids.

This is what MLB scouts and colleges use to measure bat speed and quickness now in an attempt to determine if a players swing will hold up to elite pitching.

Dana.

May 12, 2008
Yeah, what he said. I don't know how many scouts and college coaches use it as an evaluation device but some do and they all should imo. In a standard swing you could count from heel plant but so many fp swings are non standard you probably need to start counting at first move of the bat head into the swing plane till contact. Seven frames on a standard 30fps video would mean you will be in trouble against pitchers who throw hard and change speeds. A quicker swing means you can watch the pitch longer before you make your decision. Seven frames won't allow you to be effective against good pitching. Four to five frames means you have a shot. This is different than bat speed. It's possible, common even, to have great bat speed, and thus power, in a seven frame swing. You will just be inconsistent against good pitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish