teach lefty as soon as they start playing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
I understand that all girls won't be super fast but I would think the prototypical offensive softball player would be a girl with speed who could hit for power and average from the left side. If that's the prototype, shouldn't we just start teaching all young girls how to hit lefty as soon as they start playing?

Just looking for opinions and insight.

DD1 is 15, throws righty, and hits righty. DD2 turns 4 next weekend, throws righty, and, with my instruction/encouragement, is learning to bat lefty.

I mentioned this plan of mine to DD1 about a year ago when DD2 wanted to "play ball like Sissy", and she said "Heck yeah Dad, I wish you had taught me to bat left handed instead of right when I was little". So, she's been helping me, and now the little squirt holds a bat left handed and stands left handed every time I pitch to her (we play ball out past the foul pole during Sissy's HS games :) ).

My wife thinks I and my older DD are both crazy, fwiw :) She just doesn't understand fastpitch ;)

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
They need to be comfortable from the 'dominant' side first.
I have found that the better athletes adjust and strive to hitting
from the left side. I teach them this primarily to slap, but I had one girl who couldn't
slap but hit well up the middle from the left side. It depends on the player.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
When the dd was 12 our approach was to teach her to hit first, before we taught her to slap. It took about 14 month's and we went thru some growing pains. She was an excellent bunter with great speed, so that made it easier. She is now 15. Last year during travel ball try outs she bounced one over the fence in CF which was 220. She is 107 lbs. So you don't have to be big to hit a ball hard.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I've often thought about this today. Lefty hitting is a good thing, I wish I was left handed. As awkward as it was to learn to hit as a child, I don't see how hitting lefty would make it any worse. I'd definitely consider teaching a kid lefty over right handed hitting.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
When the dd was 12 our approach was to teach her to hit first, before we taught her to slap. It took about 14 month's and we went thru some growing pains. She was an excellent bunter with great speed, so that made it easier. She is now 15. Last year during travel ball try outs she bounced one over the fence in CF which was 220. She is 107 lbs. So you don't have to be big to hit a ball hard.

I personally saw a 12u girl 5' 9" 130lbs hit a 260+ HR. We were playing 14u in a field that the 12u backed up to. She smashed it out of a 225 field and landed in our field in front of our CF. Longest shot I've ever seen live.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
about a year ago when DD2 wanted to "play ball like Sissy",

I had to read your post a couple times, I didn't know who wanted to play ball like a sissy or if it was written wroing and you meant they didn't want to play ball like a sissy...I was trying to figure out why hitting righty or lefty made one a sissy.
lol

I'm an idiot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd