TCB Balls just arrived :)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I just recieved my order of TCB balls. I got the smaller baseball sized ones that weigh almost a pound. They only suggest max 18-24 swings a session with the balls. What drills have been successful for some of you? I was thinking I would just do our normal tee and soft toss routine, then I could pitch the TCB balls from 20 ft. Any suggestions?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have only done soft toss. Tee work felt a little strange. It does say 18-24 hits per session, but 11 yr old dd usually doubles that, she just doesnt want to quit. I ask if she is getting sore and she never has.
Wife pitched the whole team with them once. She was sore for days

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
I believe total control balls are best at what their name implies -- allowing you to do a warmup or drill in a small area in a controlled fashion (ie, ball doesn't travel as far but you can still take full swings). For this they are fantastic. And we only do front toss with them, again, part of the value is the pitcher can work safely from a short distance.

Personally, I don't see some magical value in "hitting through the ball" or other "heavy ball" benefits with TCBs. In fact, I've found that girls can sometimes resort to poor swing mechanics in order to square up on the (squishy) balls and attain what * looks like* a good result. I have to remind them to use their "real, full swing" with them rather than just focus on the result of a clean hit.

Others may disagree.

Apr 1, 2010
I'd do the front toss with them, just like you were planning. I have a dozen balls and I usually pitch them 3 times in a row for my daughter, but I think we started with the 18 to 24 amount.

I have no proof that they helped my daughter's hitting, but she went from having about the third or fourth highest batting average on her 10U team in the fall of 2010 to having the highest batting average the following spring. She had more power; she was hitting it to the grass a lot more. Of course, she was growing taller and stronger and practicing her hitting over that time period too...

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
They suggest you do not front toss, but soft toss or hit off a T. This is due to the weight and you increase the force if it is moving toward the bat. As posted above they suggest you limit the amount you hit in one session. Just because something is good doesn't mean more of it is better. You can over use any muscle, in this case the wrists. This device doesn't change the swing plane like a heavy bat does, so you are forcing the kid to finish the swing and you have feedback if they are hitting the sweet spot of the ball. Better warm up device in my opinion.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
When I am doing TCB's with a group I have noticed that some girls run out of gas sooner than others. If you watch them close you will start to see it. Time to quit/rest when you see that I think.

I have few other things- watch them to make sure their eyes follow it all the way in. Great opportunity to train their eyes like Hitter talks about. Second, don't hurry from pitch to pitch if you are training. Let them get set up every time. Use some kind of home plate if you can.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Agreed so cal. We have thrown prob 10000 times front toss. NEVER has anyone been injured, or even said they were sore. 11yr old Dd backyard session always end because I say you better quit. I have no doubt she would hit 100 if I let her. Also, I have thrown them to prob 30 different girls and not one has "lined up" on the ball or changed their swing except to drive through the ball. I honestly believe there cant be more than a few people who have used them more then me, and the problems and advice I am reading from some have just never happened to me.

Westwind. Your right, but i think that all applies to any bp, not just a session with tcb balls

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We got an e mail from TCB. It is ok on the smaller balls , just don't over do it. The larger balls they suggest do not front toss. Sorry I was not clear and yes what they have on the web page. They were having some complaints on sore wrists based on over use. I would post the e mail, but it was sent to someone they want to endorse the product, not me. If you look at the TCB post this was covered in detail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid