Tater grip smells bad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
We FINALLY put on the tater grip (had it a couple of months). Well...it smells very bad. DD used it in game tonight, and teammates gave her such a hard time about it. Anyway, I washed with soap and water several times...nothing. It's now in the garage, and I have wrapped Bounce sheets around the handle. LOL. Would use bleach if I knew it was safe...but I won't. Anyone figure it out??

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I take it your DD doesn't use batting gloves? This is caused by bacteria getting in the crevices of the rubber material. Last time I used Simple Green undiluted. Took 3 scrubbings with a scrub brush but it worked.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I take it your DD doesn't use batting gloves? This is caused by bacteria getting in the crevices of the rubber material. Last time I used Simple Green undiluted. Took 3 scrubbings with a scrub brush but it worked.

She has only used batting glove on one hand...not both. I will get some Simple Green tomorrow...not first time I heard about it. thanks!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Clarification sought re Simple Green recommendation - you are talking about scrubbing the bat, DD, or both!

Both of course:eek:. Her fielding glove was worse! Unfortunately, I have yet to find a solution for that one without ruining the leather on her Nokona. I've tried everything from freezing it to mouthwash....lol. Now she just uses a XproteX Reaktr glove to prevent the sweat and heat from making it stink. It definitely helps but I sure wish I knew about the Reaktr glove beforehand. I could have prevented it altogether.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I have heard that the black tater grips hold the odor of the solution longer than the others. Think I read this on their web page. We've only bought white and blue and haven't had this problem. It will go away.... Eventually.

As good as the grip is, my DD would still use them if they smelled like a skunk! ;)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The smell that's in dds batting gloves gets so bad in the summer, we typically go through 3-4 pair a year. We should buy stock in batting gloves. Crazy price tags on paper thin crappy leather gloves!

Oct 10, 2011
Xprotex

Clarification sought re Simple Green recommendation - you are talking about scrubbing the bat, DD, or both!

Both of course:eek:. Her fielding glove was worse! Unfortunately, I have yet to find a solution for that one without ruining the leather on her Nokona. I've tried everything from freezing it to mouthwash....lol. Now she just uses a XproteX Reaktr glove to prevent the sweat and heat from making it stink. It definitely helps but I sure wish I knew about the Reaktr glove beforehand. I could have prevented it altogether.
Is the Xprotex better than Palm gaurd? Right now DD uses a cheap batting glove inside and doesn't really like it.
Btw... we never had a smelly Tater.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Is the Xprotex better than Palm gaurd? Right now DD uses a cheap batting glove inside and doesn't really like it.
Btw... we never had a smelt Tater.

DD prefers the XproteX Reaktr glove since the padding in her Mizuno mitt isn't the greatest but I wasn't going high dollar when I didn't know if she was going to stick with catching. Now that I know, casedawg51 here I come...lol. The Reaktr has padding on every joint of every finger plus padding in the palm. During the game, whether catching or fielding, it stays on the entire time. It's been very durable and when it starts to stink, we throw it in the washer on the gentle cycle and air dry. The only problem we've faced so far is molding her EvoShield thumb guard but we managed. She also has XproteX Krushr batting gloves. We will throw these in the washer as well. They're a little more expensive but we've managed to get a year and a half or so out of them including HS ball, TB and practices for both. Over the long term, we actually save money buying one set of gloves at double the average price vs 4-5 sets at the regular price over the lifespan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog