Target on DD's back...from own team's parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
We had something similar to this happen also to our short stop. We play 14U, even though most of our team can still play down. The majority of this team came from a non-competitve league and we are now in a more competitve rec league. Coach described it to me the other day as not real softball. So while the girls can catch and throw, they are not overly aggressive.

Our SS, played softball when she was younger and then left to do gymnastics for several years and has just returned. She is a very good player!
1 week before league play started, the coach got a text that 2 of the girls quit. Something about the team wasn't going the way they were hoping. 1 girl was 3rd, the other was an outstanding OF with some amazing speed (and a lefty). When it came down to it, the 2 girls were BFF's so it was a package deal apparently, and the OF was upset she wasn't playing SS like she had always done before.

Coach convinces them to stay and puts OF'er at SS. Who doesn't know how to play it at this level. She doesn't move to 2nd or 3rd on steals and would more often then not miss a field on a ball hit to her or drop the cut-off throw. It was frustrating to watch knowing the coach kinda got bullied into it.
Even my 8 and 9yo players understand infield coverages. I wouldn't know how to coach older players who didn't get it.

I can understand why a coach might feel pressured to make certain concessions for a superstar pitcher or a huge sponsor, but for a SS? The coach failed at the start by not outlining what he would and would not tolerate before the team even had its first practice. Or if he did state his policies regarding positions and playing time, then he failed by not sticking to his guns. Oftentimes, coaches assume everyone is friendly with one another and they don't expect there will be any problems, but the best way to manage a team is to communicate directly, and to put everything in writing. That doesn't mean there will never be any grumbling, but forewarned is fair-warned, in my book.

The coach should've let those 2 players quit the team. That's another major coaching failure on his part.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes