Taking Leads from Second Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I have been trying to watch as many college games as possible, trying to learn the game compared to baseball. One thing that consistently jumps out at me is the leads off of second base. Every time I see the runner darting off the base, I feel like they should be thrown out. They are moving 2-3 steps after the ball is caught, hips turned toward third, all momentum going. Watching a recorded game last night of Pitt/Notre Dame, there was only one pump fake by the catcher. I was at the point where I was yelling at the tv.... ;)

I called Jay Weaver from the New England Catching Camp because I know he knows softball better than me. One thing he had to remind me was about typical arm strength. I'm thinking I can come out of a crouch and throw a softball 75-80 mph, when girls just don't have that arm strength. But still.... There are three potential scenarios if I come up hard from a crouch ready to throw:

1. The girl tries to bait me, I pump fake and hose her at third.
2. The girl cuts her lead short and scrambles back to the bag.
3. She freezes, I run straight at her, make her commit to one direction and throw her out.

In baseball, the middle infielders work with the pitcher to keep the runner close. Since this isn't part of softball, wouldn't the catcher be most responsible for keeping that runner in check?

Also, why not set up plays? In college, I had a play with the catcher that if I took glove off (I played shortstop), picked up dirt and threw it in the direction of second base, I wanted him to try to throw down after the pitch. It was rare, but an out was for the taking, we did our best to take it. Does stuff like this happen in fastpitch??

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
One other thing to think about Tewks is the LBR. Once the pitcher receives the ball from the catcher, the runner has to either go back or go forward, she can't just hang out. So in essence the rule keeps the runner close. We have picks for all bases, and fake pumps to try to get the runner to commit, but they rarely work to be honest.

Jan 15, 2009
I think 60' base paths have a lot to do with it.

#1 The leads may not be as big as you think, they may look bigger on a small field, but pretty rare I see more than a three step lead, even from second and most leads are two step.

#2 Throwing behind is risky due to increased chance of delayed steal, with a 15' lead, baserunner only needs to cover 45' to steal before ball gets to SS and SS relays to 3B and tag. In baseball you rarely see that because even with a 15' lead you still have 75' to cover, plenty of time for two throws not that much harder than a routine double play.

Same thing applies to steals in general, in baseball a catcher that keeps the ball in front of them and within two steps won't get stolen on. Softball if the ball is blocked and goes more than 1 step from catcher it's nearly an automatic steal.

Nov 1, 2009
Try working on catcher to pitcher to second base in practice. First off this is a much shorter throw so less time for runner to break the other direction. I also think you have better chance of catching a runner napping after the ball is returned to the pitcher. They walk back instead of hustle.

We don't pick off many but they know we will try.

DB1

Apr 23, 2009
Metro East StL
Bunts and Steal Coverages

Don't forget about the prevalence of bunts. With a runner on 2nd, the shortstop usually is going to third for steals or bunts and the second baseman is covering first. If they start trying to get the girl at 2nd, they could miss their assignment.

Jul 26, 2010
Don't forget about the prevalence of bunts. With a runner on 2nd, the shortstop usually is going to third for steals or bunts and the second baseman is covering first. If they start trying to get the girl at 2nd, they could miss their assignment.

Have you watched college softball lately? I wonder if those girls remember how to bunt. Compared to Japanese fastpitch, the US has a pretty pathetic short game.

With a runner on 2nd CF should cover 2nd, if CF cant' get there, maybe the coach should focus more on fielding ability then the kids ability to play "glory ball" in the offense.

-W

Apr 27, 2009
One the LBR, delayed steals are happening every day off second, if the throw back to the pitcher is lazy or the pitcher is looking down.
Happens a lot when the pitcher is having a bad day on the mound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619