Take a break?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I know that we have this discussion every year...

That being said; DD is 14 and has been playing for 3 years (pitching for 2). She currently plays ASA 16U and her last tournament is at the end of this month. She is playing basketball for the winter and will be playing HS softball right after Basketball.

As a pitcher, I hate to see a complete and total break during the month of December. Last year she practiced once or twice during the week and had lessons on Saturday.

What are your recommendations?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I live in a warm weather climate, my dd pitches beginning mid January and her season finishes mid-december. She takes off 3-4 weeks in August and dec/jan. We go into complete 'shutdown mode' It gives her time to rest and be a kid. She does a few drills if she wants, but I don't ask anything of her during this time. When she starts in January, it is gradual as she gets some reps in playing rec ball before travel season gets in full swing. My rec teams always have a couple girls who pitch or are learning, they get they majority of innings during rec season.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
Sometimes it's scary thinking of a total break for an athlete most especially if she's executing a very technical skill but you'll be surprise that rest is the best way for an athlete to be better especially if she has played and trained for most of the year. Rest will help regenerate used muscles which will gain more strength. This will also prevent unwanted injuries. You don't have to worry on losing the skills the brain is a wonderful organ, muscle memory will set in..If you're worried about having total rest best way to keep pitching strength is to have rehab exercises during the break.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Don't know if this is correct, but our PC says that for every week you take off, it takes one week to get back to where you were before the break? However, everyone needs to rest and "recharge their batteries" away from the game.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I belive taking a break is important for mental rejuvination more so than physical (which is important too). My daughter (13) took three weeks off between the end of her 12U season and tryouts for 14U this past summer. She'll be taking all of December off as well, but working on gereral conditioning with body weight exercises and light dumbells.

Apr 18, 2010
Pitchers need to take at least 2-4 wks off in my opinion during the XMAS break if they play year round. I learned this the hard way after DD had an overuse injury. She came back sharper and refocused with no mental or physical fatigue. It took her 2 days to get her release point back. I used to work her 5 days a week on the mound. In the offseason she started doing core exercises and using therabands/fitness ball and now implements that routine into her daily regimen. She now practices pitching 3 times a week and her arm is "fresher" than before. Muscle memory did kick in so I wasn't too worried when she came back after a month off. You don't want your DD to have to think of pitching as work.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We always take off from Thanksgiving to New Years. It gives us time to enjoy the Holidays. We play ball from February to early November, weather permitting.

Oct 22, 2009
Don't know if this is correct, but our PC says that for every week you take off, it takes one week to get back to where you were before the break? However, everyone needs to rest and "recharge their batteries" away from the game.

This is what I teach, take the break, but prepare for the time you'll need to get back into the groove.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

In early December DD dislocated her ankle which put her in a wheelchair for a month and NO SPORTS for an additional month. She was able to come back on February 19th with no restrictions.

Her recovery was no less than miraculous! Once she was released from the doctor, we started her with a physical trainer (Cross Fit Training) which she is still doing twice per week. She worked slowly back during the end of February, was playing JV softball for her High School on March 2nd and by the end of March she was a starter on her Varsity Squad. Here we are near the end of April (4 ½ months later) and she is throwing harder than before and is stronger mentally and physically.

When I originally posted this, I was reluctant to suggest a total break for her. Since then I have learned a LOT about how athletes tick both physically and mentally. Going forward, DD will have a total break from Softball during the winter break (Late November through January 1st).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06