Tagging Up on a fly ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I was wondering when you can leave on a fly ball when tagging up. Is it when the fielder has complete control of the ball, or when they make contact with it. I asked an umpire one time and he said that the fielder must have complete control of the ball. I was thinking recently and I asked myself, couldn't the fielder bobble the ball and run in at the same time and then make the catch by the time they get to the infield? Just wondering...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I was wondering when you can leave on a fly ball when tagging up. Is it when the fielder has complete control of the ball, or when they make contact with it. I asked an umpire one time and he said that the fielder must have complete control of the ball. I was thinking recently and I asked myself, couldn't the fielder bobble the ball and run in at the same time and then make the catch by the time they get to the infield? Just wondering...

Runner may tag up as soon as the ball hits anyone's glove, no matter who catches it. For example, if line drive deflects off third baseman's glove and is caught by the left fielder, runners may tag up at the moment that the batted ball hit the third baseman's glove.

btw, thanks for the info on the NC Challengers. Would like to see them play some time.

Mar 2, 2013
Technically (in other words accurately), it is at first TOUCH; not when it first hits the glove. While it will be a glove 99.9% of the time, I did have a pitcher get drilled with a line drive in the head, only for the left fielder to end up making the catch. It was unbelievable. The pitcher ended up in the hospital and the coach ended up in the parking lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid