tagging up from third base???????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2013
I have a question to see if anyone has a true reason for coaches to teach this. As a very aggressive coach I have several diff plays that our team will go over and execute both at practice and in games. One of the basic fund that are tought are tagging up from third base. I teach that the base runner will go back to the bag and then gets in a sprinter stance looking at the coach on third NOT THE BALL OR THE OUTFIELDER! Once the ball is within 1ft of the outfielder the coach drops his arms to signal her to go
I do not teach the runner on third to turn and watch the ball. This takes to much time. I can prove it.
I have done timed events with the same base runner with stop watches to prove this is faster(and yes I wait about 5 min between sprints to allow the runner to be at 110%. Watching the coach is over 1.13 seconds faster. Compare a track runner in the 40 yrd dash 1.13sec faster than you this = u lost the race. thats all it is from third to home. u must beat the ball to the plate. Please give me your opinion.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
What age?
I think you are teaching them to rely on the coach and not judge how to leave as soon as ball hits leather.

Mar 3, 2013
14u / Middle school age. What do you do if a fielder some how gets in the field of view of the base runner ? They cant leave the bag but you as a coach can move to see. U know we dont stay in those things called coaches boxes anyway. lol

Mar 3, 2013
Try it . We used a finish line laser device with stop watches. You will be shocked how much time it takes. Not all will be that much but enough to make you scratch your head. Try it out and tell me what you find Im always up for sug

Mar 3, 2013
Its not that they cant judge when is the correct time to leave. Its what is faster and why would you do it another way? I was tought by several diff baseball coaches and one being the great Mike Martin with FSU baseball. I dont know why coaches are teaching the other way. Just looking to add to my library.

Jul 26, 2010
There's a lot of powertripping daddycoaches out there who like to be in control. Can't blame them I guess, life is too short to let a 12 year old be in control of her own destiny. It isn't faster though, if that's what you're asking.

-W

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
I agree when balls are hit to LF. I teach reading balls, judgement, breaks, etc. What's the difference with a runner coming to third not looking back on a ball and having 3rd base coach wave her in or up/down into the bag? Why have the runner with her back turned looking over her shoulder? Does not make sense. Ball hit to CF/LF it's the runners responsibility to tag. It's pretty simple, on a shallow hit ball come off, high or deep fly ball stay on the bag. If it's dropped you score easy if its caught your home on a tag. Yes you need to teach how to read balls and how to tag but coaches are on first and third for reasons. If you are not utilizing your coaches at the corners your doing something wrong.

Jul 2, 2013
This is not an uncommon tactic for advancing from a base. Have the player mentally start firing her muscles in advance of the catch (or the ball leaving the pitchers hands, while stealing). It is a great way to get a jump and is not revolutionary.

Be careful of the signals at 3rd base in this instance. I have seen a 3rd base coach yell "go" in advance of the catch, only to have the umpire call the runner out on appeal for leaving early. Possibly using the coaches verbal signal ahead of the catch as his cue.

Just depends on a lot of other factors. Depth of the flyout, speed of runner, arm of the outfielder, and game situation.

In all though, I think it is better to train the player to learn that once she decides to "go", her body takes a split second to actually leave the bag. Teach them to mentally leave early on their own. I am not a big fan of coaches running the action as this when dealing with young players who need to learn this on their own.

By the same token, all 3rd base coaches do this in some form. Most just position themselves close to the players ear, and quietly say "go" a little early. More discreetly. That is just a coach doing his job. Little need to make a big deal out of it.

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
1.13 secs seems like a lot. Why not teach the runner to leave when the ball is 1 ft from being caught. If you like the 1 ft thing. Yes she will have to stand with her shoulders sideways on the bag but I don't think that's a big deal. You've got me thinking. Gonna run some tests tomorrow. Time the kids me saying GO, kid reading ARM drop, kid reading the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad