Switching to IR now or wait until after the season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Do it now :)
What seems so important now (winning now) will mean very little by the fall. But if you start with IR now by the fall your DD will be in a much better place. Good luck and tell her not to get frustrated if she doesn't have immediate success.
DW knows a lot more I do about kids. When we were about to transition DD to IR DW said to me "don't make a big deal out of it, if you do she will look at it like it's a big change, just tell her you're gonna tweak her release a bit".
Worked like a charm!

Apr 12, 2018
SoGA...unfortunately, she is not. She comes through pinky first, but there's very little or no snap. If there is any rotation it comes very late or at the follow-through.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Converting to IR should not significantly impact performance. Unless the overall mechanics are awful there is no need to tear down the house and start from scratch. Focus on one thing at a time and master that before moving on to the next. Before you master all things you must master the first thing. Make small incremental changes and over time she will get there.

Feb 17, 2014
No reason to wait. Every day should be used to get better. What is she doing by switching to IR? Getting better.

Sep 19, 2018
If she comes through pinky first, I bet there is some IR happening already. If somehow there is no IR, then the change should be relatively easy. My daughter was taught pinky first, then finish with hand to shoulder elbow pointing at the catcher. She had tight bullet spin. She very quickly picked up letting the hand roll to palm down and got the correct IR spin (IR in the classroom). I think her third of fourth pitching practice and she started to lock in with consistency.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi