Switch teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
Here is the dilemma...

DDs (12u) team folded during tryout season after a few girls (3 of our 4 pitchers) went to other teams and it was clear that we wouldn’t be able to backfill at that point. So scrambling a little to find a team (and she would not be available to tryout the last half of august) she had a private tryout with a newly forming team at an established organization and was offered a spot. Turns out the players and the coaches are all doing select for the first time. They are a good group of girls and we personally like the coaches but DD immediately noticed the difference. We figured that we would try to make the most of it and at least she had a place to play (we have had 2 practices) so I even asked the other coaches if I could help coach.

Another team (we didn’t know prior to accepting that this team was an option) is still short a couple of players and asked her to guest for them in the fall. Since her team isn’t ready to play in tournaments she excitedly took the opportunity. Well this team would be a much better fit. Very strong coaching staff, players more at her ability level, very good position and hitting style fit, she was even excited about working with their catcher coach (and that is a first!). So DD wants to change teams. The whole ride home she kept talking about how this was a lot more like the practices she had last year and she had a lot of fun.

Switch teams or honor the original commitment?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
To me (and as a parent) the question is a simple one. Which is best for your daughter? You will regret it later if you don't choose the best one. And really, only you and your DD can answer that.

Just my thoughts...

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I think she needs to stick it out with her new team for the fall season. I am probably in the minority. I look at it this way. You didn't have anywhere to play and this team took you in. They would have been good enough had you not received an offer from a better team. I am not sure this is much different than players getting recruited off weaker teams mid season. Another thing to consider is why the recruiting team is short players to begin with. Are they the type of program that is always looking at top grading their team? What would you do if they promise you and your DD the world and next week they have another girl playing her position? I would really think about it. Good luck

Oct 18, 2009
its not easy... but you really need to look out for your daughter's best interests. you are the only who truly will be looking out for them.

in the big picture... its just a game. if she (and you) don't feel like the team she is currently on is in her best interests and she isn't happy, move on. life is too short to stay on a team she isn't going to be happy on.

If you do decide to leave... do it now... before the fall season really starts. because if you do it later... it just makes it harder for the team to replace her.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Joe I am in the same minority as you. Something that has been lost in recent generations is people fulfilling their commitments. If you have already made one, then you must stick it out. If not think of the lesson you will be teaching your dd.
There had to be something on your team besides an opening to make you decide to join.
There must be a reaon they still have openings with that good of a coaching staff.

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

To me it is all about what would be best for my DD (which includes the value of honoring a commitment). My first inclination was to not switch but if she is going to do it I wan't to make that decision immediately since they are only two practices into the year and would hopefully have enough time to replace her.

A couple more items of note:

This is for the entire year so if she stays there is no moving teams until next August...it isn't just for the Fall (in fact her team isn't going to play in the Fall...just practice).

She tried out with coaches so she didn't actually see any other players until our first practice. I actually was pretty surprised that they were all first year select players and coaches.

No idea why the new team is short players...it is a good organization and it seemed like a good group of girls and coaches.

If she switches the practice commute goes from 20 mins to 45+ mins and increases by one day a week.

She doesn't have any personal friends or classmates on either team.

I don't know...it a tough decision (DD's mind is made up so letting her decide is essentially making a decision).

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Do both teams play the same type tournaments (A, B)? Will the team goals be the same on both teams (qualify for ASA nationals, different or same World Series)? If everything is the same, I would say stay where you are and honor your commitment. If the new team is playing at a higher level, that may be a reason to change teams.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Might be wrong here, but I think both the Team and the players deserve a trial period. Not sure how long that lasts but 2 practices seems reasonable for both parties for a year commitment.

Apr 14, 2011
We were in a similar situation recently. We had committed to an All Star Continuation team (10u) instead of playing in the regular Rec fall ball program. We thought it would be a better opportunity for her to play with this team rather than "regular" girls who are just coming up from 8u. The team consists of mostly All Star girls coming up from 8u with a couple of existing 10u girls, including my DD. We'd already practiced for a few weeks and even played in one tournament. All along, we had resisted travel ball, however we noticed that a team needed a starting catcher and since we had a friend on the team, decided to call for a private tryout. The coach was impressed and offered her a spot. We had to make a decision of either honoring her commitment to the original team or bailing out and going with a team that would be more at her level of play with very experienced coaching.

The solution was a compromise. We joined the travel team, but made DD available for the continuation team's tournaments. I let the original coach know that she wouldn't be available to practice with his team (aside from practices being on the same days, I wouldn't want her practicing seven days a week if they didn't conflict!); however I gave him the dates of the TB tournaments and since his tournaments weren't set in stone, he'll have the option of changing one of them (one weekend conflict). I've explained the same to the TB coach and he's on board with her missing friendlies if it's to honor the commitment.

We felt bad about creating the situation, and honestly will feel bad if our DD gets more playing time than the catcher who is practicing every day (although she still has a LOT to learn about catching in 10u). In the end, it'll be up to the coach whether or not he wants her help. After a couple weeks of practices and some friendlies today, I feel comfortable that we made the right decision for our DD.

The next question is what will we do for Spring?!?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad