Swinging Late

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2021
I almost think this needs to be in the mental aspect discussion forum. My 15 y/o the last year swings late. She had been casting her hands. She fixed that. She has an excellent swing. It is merely a timing issue. She knows it is yes, yes, yes, until it is no. She knows it. She just doesn't do it. I truly think she is so afraid of messing up that she is messing up. Any advice on the mental aspect and things to try?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This is part mental-n-physical. Have her swing right at release. Off a pitching machine, front toss have her swing right when the ball is released. This tests the hitter if they actually are ready to swing.

Your not trying to hit the ball. Just trying to be ready to swing.

The second drill is the command drill. You pre load or get into the launch position and then just swing (tee). So you go on the commands of load up and then swing on the Go command.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Tell her she’s got 3 pitches every at bat and if she takes one she comes out. She will swing at a few bad ones but it will click mentally eventually and she will develop the discipline to stop her swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just to add to the swing at release, you build the timing by just waiting a tick after release. So after the drill you are just waiting on the ball ready to swing

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff