swing vs explode

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I don't disagree. She is 8 so what you see as exploding in MLB and College girls ain't going to be happening with an 8 YO ;)

Here is one of the few good swings, timing aside, my 9YO DD has taken in the last month in games. I consider this to be good "explosion" for her age:

She "explodes" here too but her body positioning is so out of whack it doesn't really matter:

I totally agree. I wonder if at times, its because she is launching a bit before her stride foot gets down to launch. I know that's been a issue for her. Granted she is only 8.

Oct 2, 2017
The thought process of exploding was useful to me when I played. Slow controlled movements until launch and then BAM!! That said, if the mechanics are not in place you can think like that all you want and it won't do much. As far as drills, some stretch and fire drills may be useful for that purpose. The other thing you have to consider is that some people are just more fast twitch than others..not really much you can do about that other than to go back in time and choose your parents better.. ;)
I didn't see this part. I would agree that some are more genetically inclined than others, but you can I would think build those fast twitch tendencies to a extent with repetition.

Jun 8, 2016
I didn't see this part. I would agree that some are more genetically inclined than others, but you can I would think build those fast twitch tendencies to a extent with repetition.
You can certainly optimize what you have. Not an expert but I don't think you can change muscle fiber makeup.

That said, control what you can control..plus this is hitting not 100 meter dash. I am sure there are varying degrees of fast-twitch dominance even at the MLB level. There may be a benefit to being more balanced in fiber type..my DD is definitely fast twitch dominant and we have all seen how that has worked out so far

:LOL:

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't disagree. She is 8 so what you see as exploding in MLB and College girls ain't going to be happening with an 8 YO ;)

Here is one of the few good swings, timing aside, my 9YO DD has taken in the last month in games. I consider this to be good "explosion" for her age:

She "explodes" here too but her body positioning is so out of whack it doesn't really matter:

I would consider this very good for her age, in terms of hitting with suddenness.

Jun 8, 2016
I would consider this very good for her age, in terms of hitting with suddenness.
I don't disagree. In the first swing her body is in a better position to launch than the second swing. You can be sudden as heck but if you are in poor positions it won't matter.

To be honest, from an athletic perspective she is probably better suited for basketball or sprinting as it lends better to her natural abilities...she had the best shuttle run time in her elementary school (through 5th grade) in both the 2nd and 3rd grades, boys or girls. I am pretty fast twitch myself (I could dunk at 6') but not to the degree she is I don't think. The body awareness stuff needs to catch up..if it doesn't then she will be asking her mother for tips on how to run hurdles :LOL:

May 12, 2016
Explosive = good... but always watch out for over muscling vs loose and fast. I say explode to my DD and she thinks muscle it up.. sigh

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Go to a smaller field and hit balls over the fence.
Love it! I have done it. Great idea, really.
Swinging is for golfers. Gradually accelerating the clubhead. Although not all golfers are swingers. Some even MLB hitters are more swingier than others. Looks pretty but they are guess hitters, usually left handed. ( I don't know why) Think Will Clark or Griffey. Lead arm is armbarred at contact. Stretch and explode. Can you get a young girl explode or rotate too fast? Yes, and it will usually cause the hands to get trapped behind torso ( bat drag) because they are not strong enough in the upper body to have a small hand radius. Neck slot drills to keep swing in control. Has anybody used the "swing rail"

Jun 8, 2016
Love it! I have done it. Great idea, really.
Swinging is for golfers. Gradually accelerating the clubhead. Although not all golfers are swingers. Some even MLB hitters are more swingier than others. Looks pretty but they are guess hitters, usually left handed. ( I don't know why) Think Will Clark or Griffey. Lead arm is armbarred at contact. Stretch and explode. Can you get a young girl explode or rotate too fast? Yes, and it will usually cause the hands to get trapped behind torso ( bat drag) because they are not strong enough in the upper body to have a small hand radius. Neck slot drills to keep swing in control. Has anybody used the "swing rail"
HR derby was a favorite game growing up..