swing vs explode

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
In honor of FFS's question responses to questions :)

Is loose good? Or could it result in excess slack?

Is fast twitch necessary? Or does a proper load (and some preload) + sequence make fast twitch not as important?

Is the idea of 'explode!' any different than 'snap!'
The more I think about. I think its not so much that it makes it less of importance, as I agree with Pattar in #29. I think depending on how you get to launch will determine the type of "Explode vs Swing". At least its how I view it with the naked eye. Without actual data I'm just guessing.

For example a batter who stride to their toe early, then drops their heel vs a batter who is more fluid with their swing.

Now that I'm thinking about, none of what I just said applies to your statement! :LOL: My brain hasn't caught up with me yet this morning!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The greatest Explosion comes from having NO hesitation when a hitter decides to swing.
As TM says LQ(launch quickness).

Sep 1, 2014
This is something I worked with my younger daughter on just a couple of weeks ago. Her coach measures bat speed and hers was low. Still hits the ball well but could really be driving it farther with a little more intent.

So, I had her work at being more sudden - explosive - with her swing. This is a variation of what Jeff Edwards taught me.

Basically had her swing (starting slowly) and then quickly pull the swing backwards and swing through a little faster then pull back faster and swing through a little faster then pull back fast and swing through even a little faster etc... for five swings.

My thought was to ingrain the fastest swing (the fifth iteration) while on deck so that she has shown her body (pre programmed it) what an explosive swing feels like with the intent that her game swing will be as explosive as the 5th iteration of the warmup swing.

She plays this weekend so I want to see how this works for her.

Jul 29, 2013
The more I think about. I think its not so much that it makes it less of importance, as I agree with Pattar in #29. I think depending on how you get to launch will determine the type of "Explode vs Swing". At least its how I view it with the naked eye. Without actual data I'm just guessing.

For example a batter who stride to their toe early, then drops their heel vs a batter who is more fluid with their swing.

Now that I'm thinking about, none of what I just said applies to your statement! :LOL: My brain hasn't caught up with me yet this morning!
The batter who strides to a toe and drops the heel isn't generating as much power via forward momentum as the batter with a more fluid movement.
Basic physics. Power in = power out.
Power generated prior to the explosive move is stored via the stretch shortening cycle. It's why we can jump higher if we start from a standing position and then squat immediately before jumping as opposed to starting from a squatting position. The counter move creates a load of the muscle that creates a stronger contraction= more power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee