Swing mechanics feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6HPY1jTsk

Result of the swing was a single to the 5/6 holes

My daughter is now 18 yrs old and playing for a Jr college team. We were talking about her swing this weekend and what she could do better and I told her I would post on this site for some feedback.

The biggest problem I see is the rolling action at or just after contact. This is very evident on a low pitch. I tell her front/lead elbow is calapsing the front side and not staying throw the ball. Her lower body mechanics and sequence look ok to me.

What does everyone else see?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Having that other bat come through there really messed me up. :)

I don't teach that stance. I teach something more evenly distributed, or 60 % back. Although, she is trying to get a negative move, there is just no where to go with it, because she is so far back.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Good video!
I just got the Tim Walton Video and he explains how one of his hitters used to start like your DD with all her weight on the back leg. she now has adopted a balanced stance at the start, negative movement and then forward. I think your DDs lower body starts her off at a disadvantage.
When you say "rolling action" are you talking wrist roll? If so, It looked like it was after contact which to me wouldn't matter.
FWIW -Her hips and shoulders stop opening just before contact and don't continue through. It's like the body stops and leaves it to the arms to finish.

I kept replaying it and it looks like She maximizes her power about 6" - 12" before contact and then is coasting when the bat and ball collide.
That other bat gets in the way at a bad time :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
Having that other bat come through there really messed me up. :)

I don't teach that stance. I teach something more evenly distributed, or 60 % back. Although, she is trying to get a negative move, there is just no where to go with it, because she is so far back.

Amy i agree with you and she didn't have that until this year college coaches changeds it.

Jul 21, 2008
Good video!
I just got the Tim Walton Video and he explains how one of his hitters used to start like your DD with all her weight on the back leg. she now has adopted a balanced stance at the start, negative movement and then forward. I think your DDs lower body starts her off at a disadvantage.
When you say "rolling action" are you talking wrist roll? If so, It looked like it was after contact which to me wouldn't matter.
FWIW -Her hips and shoulders stop opening just before contact and don't continue through. It's like the body stops and leaves it to the arms to finish.

I kept replaying it and it looks like She maximizes her power about 6" - 12" before contact and then is coasting when the bat and ball collide.
That other bat gets in the way at a bad time :)

In this swing the wrist roll was after contact but sometimes it happens sooner and she rolls over the ball and hits weak ground ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know what she can do. She can't get the hips around, from there. What if she sets up there and then, changes? Is the coach making her squish the bug, too?

The early wrist roll, is probably because she is trying to overcome the problem that the coach has introduced. Good luck.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't see wrist roll as often as I see other problems. when I have seen it though, seemed to be related to peak power too early and stopping the rotation of the upper body. Girls who did this also swung down (chopping) at fast or low pitches.
obbay

this is where the hips and shoulders stopped rotating (I think) this is pre-contact.
I'm sorry about the coach. As you can see from this image capture, she looks good anyway.

Last edited:
T

theaddition

I don't see wrist roll as often as I see other problems. when I have seen it though, seemed to be related to peak power too early and stopping the rotation of the upper body. Girls who did this also swung down (chopping) at fast or low pitches.
obbay

this is where the hips and shoulders stopped rotating (I think) this is pre-contact.
I'm sorry about the coach. As you can see from this image capture, she looks good anyway.

Perhaps her timing is off (she's early). It does happen.
What if the ball was backed up and contacting the barrel in this photo.
I'll bet we'd all be commenting on how good she looked at contact.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Perhaps her timing is off (she's early). It does happen.
What if the ball was backed up and contacting the barrel in this photo.
I'll bet we'd all be commenting on how good she looked at contact.
Yes, I would say for certain. Unless she is regularly hitting with less power than what you might expect. I wouldn't change a swing over one video that is actually pretty nice swing and hit.

Here is something to look at though in my eyes. Not a lot of whip or bat speed. Here is what you might look at. Even though her hips lead and rotate are the hips and core REALLY pulling her hands and the barrel or is she pushing her hands to move the bat independent of the core. Hit looks a lot like my kid (below) a little over a year ago. Watch in the Model Swings thread how the bat path takes the barrel towards the catcher where as our kids is more of a arm push and whip.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YIzbX0D1-x4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>