Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
w87z3c.gif

Don't know if this que has been used yet...
'Brush off your rear butt cheek with your rear elbow'.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
w87z3c.gif

Don't know if this que has been used yet...
'Brush off your rear butt cheek with your rear elbow'.

We don't want the rear elbow going into the body ... where it could be effectively 'pinned' to the body's rotation.

The intent of the cue was to get the rear-side action that we see in this GIF above.

The spacing of the elbow away from the body, as it becomes slotted, should be a function of pitch location (inside/outside).

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
FiveFrameSwing;368021]We don't want the rear elbow going into the body ... where it could be effectively 'pinned' to the body's rotation.

The intent of the cue was to get the rear-side action that we see in this GIF above.

The spacing of the elbow away from the body, as it becomes slotted, should be a function of pitch location (inside/outside).
My bad...you're correct.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
That's cool. Let's have a discussion.

You have had access to Kelvins stuff as long as I have. What was the breakthrough for you? He has been talking about lateral bend and Dr Gracovetsky's stuff for a while now.

Remember the lizard graphic by TDS? Can someone post it?

Correct butter, He has been talking about lateral bend for some time (frontal plane movement) which lead to email discussions with him in regards to movements within the sagittal plane...

Which lead to APT cat/cow/cat.

Which also lead to this comparison. Now both swings include LPT but one is missing the movement in the sagittal plane amongst other things.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Just a warning for anyone following along. Following any advice that you should add lordosis IE an arch in lower back is dangerous without understanding how lordosis is created. Meaning simply DON'T try and force a player to arch her lower back just because someone is recommending it.

Carry on.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TDS I would encourage you not to bow out. I thoroughly enjoy your feedback. I continue to learn and I have a long way to go, and yes I do get confused. I am trying to tackle one issue at a time until my younger DD starts to "internalize" her swing movements as my older DD is just beginning to. I appreciate all of the different sets of eyes, and appreciate the time everyone puts in here!

Stick, try to look at the movements in 3d.. Your younger daughters movement pattern is primarily catcher/pitcher (frontal plane) while the older has more balanced movement sagittal/transverse/frontal. The balanced movements allows for both sides of the core to be active.

What some of us are trying to say is don't think or worry about movement in the frontal plane.. It should happen as a result of the stretching/loading of the core in the sagittal plane.

A good example of planes of movement courtesy of Spartans21.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just a warning for anyone following along. Following any advice that you should add lordosis IE an arch in lower back is dangerous without understanding how lordosis is created. Meaning simply DON'T try and force a player to arch her lower back just because someone is recommending it.

Carry on.

I haven't seen any issues with using the cue to start the swing with the brushing of the rear butt cheek ... which embeds lordosis.

Help me understand the dangers so that I spare a child from this danger you speak of.

DangerWillRobinson.jpg~c200

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Good, because forward leadside lateral bend is 100% compatible with FbC.

The notion of the rear leg being in charge is that the rear leg is weighted and that this forward leadside lateral bend and FbC should not have the hitter thinking of their rear leg beyond the initial timing of the pitcher to weight the rear leg "slow and early".

When folks say that the rear leg is in charge of the lower body they mean that it is not a conscious act, that they can forget about their rear leg and allow it to support the upper body actions.

From what I've read and seen, your statements above can't get any further from the truth in regards to most people. The above statements may reflect how you view the rear leg BUT there are many take the rear leg in control theory and burn it to the ground as is the case with most cues. For many the rear leg is a highly conscious act. Heck, even your description makes me envision a momentum based swing. Weight that rear leg(conscious act which needs another conscious act to reverse it), With the mechanics that are trying to be discussed, the appropriate counter movements are part of the movements themselves.

leadside lateral bend and FBC before the rear leg becomes unweighted OR after the rear leg becomes unweighted? Or does the leadside lateral bend and FBC unweight the rear leg?
Any answer to that is a pushing rear leg
The problem is what causes the leadside lateral bend? Think distal and proximal
And your lordosis accenting an arch in the lower back is a bad idea. It's better to NOT let the lower back arch/
Last thing.
While you are closer to getting it than most (and I know this is hard for you to swallow). you don't yet get it. And claiming there's a mystery to this because it hasn't clicked for you is just your intellect getting in the way. I'm hopeful that more will see it and feel it soon. Maybe They can help decrypt the language for the masses.

w87z3c.gif
Longoria_061213_combo.gif

No arch in the lower back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06