Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Stick, sorry for how confusing this may be.. If FBC rear leg/hip movement pattern is what you're after I will bow out.. Hitting is hard enough the way it is without trying to mix/match movement patterns that aren't compatible..

Not sure why FbC is mentioned along with these two swing clip segments. The forward lead-side lateral bend, and FbC, took place earlier in the swing.

IMO the hitter in the red shirt would benefit from learning how to arch her rear lower back earlier in the swing (lordosis) ... rear side lateral bend and lordosis. Eliminating her FbC and/or lead-side lateral bend is not the path I would go with (although the tempo of her FbC & lead-side lateral bend is on the high end and could be moderated).

The cue of starting the swing by brushing off the rear butt cheek, assuming it was explained properly, would be helpful to this hitter ... IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
[video]https://fat.gfycat.com/OpulentScaryFrog.mp4[/video]

Yes, these are examples of lead-side lateral bend.

Leadside_Lateral_Bend.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The cue of starting the swing by brushing off the rear butt cheek, assuming it was explained properly, would be helpful to this hitter ... IMO.
From Kevin Myahira:
For those still not sure of what the lateral bend/lordosis feels like, try this. Imagine you sat on something unexpected with your right butt cheek. If you try to dust off while trying to see what you sat on, you’d automatically perform LB and LL. So then if you keep your body in that same position then put your right elbow in front of your right hip and then rotate, you’re in a pretty good position to rotate into the ball and rip it.

Lateral bend/.......................................................And................................................Lordosis
ea3gRUEmxDRUP5AV8v6kjLVi2mMFvJrvyrcCarWfdqZcy9cl9iEf2sCCJ6c-jHqBJAWnH7XbGW7t30UhQMHdHoLofuK-6KgVPxX9NFUmmUZKxpnvXdhSMDcE2R_kr7HnUJ8S0zfghzpg5YR4

Last edited:
May 22, 2012
yes a couple of follow ups
Looking back to see what I sat on when lowering to the bench is good, i feel the spine/core movement as I try to see what it is, I also feel the shifting of the rear to position it better so that I might see.
But what do you mean by brushing?
Also, with respect to the AROD gif, is the elbow supposed to be "outside" the hip, ie closer to the camera? Does it appear this way to you?

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
yes a couple of follow ups
Looking back to see what I sat on when lowering to the bench is good, i feel the spine/core movement as I try to see what it is, I also feel the shifting of the rear to position it better so that I might see.
Also, with respect to the AROD gif, is the elbow supposed to be "outside" the hip, ie closer to the camera? Does it appear this way to you?

Thanks!

By brushing, I mean that after you stood up from the bench, that you look at your rear butt cheek and brush it off with your top hand ... the act will have you using your rear-side to both laterally bend (bring the rear shoulder and rear hip closer together) and arch the rear lower back (lordosis). The cue is meant to use your rear-side in this manner as the swing is initiated. You would not actually be brushing the rear butt cheek during the swing.

I'm not following your question relative to Arod and what you mean by "outside the hip".

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Imagine you sat on something unexpected with your right butt cheek. If you try[/B](Not really bushing anything. Just 'helping you to visualize a position) to dust off while trying to see what you sat on, you’d automatically perform LB and LL.

Just helping to give a reason of why you would be getting into this position.
So then if you keep your body in that same position then put your right elbow in front of your right hip and then rotate,
1zppp2b.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2012
By brushing, I mean that after you stood up from the bench, that you look at your rear butt cheek and brush it off with your top hand ... the act will have you using your rear-side to both laterally bend (bring the rear shoulder and rear hip closer together) and arch the rear lower back (lordosis). The cue is meant to use your rear-side in this manner as the swing is initiated. You would not actually be brushing the rear butt cheek during the swing.

I'm not following your question relative to Arod and what you mean by "outside the hip".

Five, I was asking this question comparing AROD to the advice given earlier in the thread (not by you) on the following post

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/25225-swing-feedback-51.html#post367823

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Five, I was asking this question comparing AROD to the advice given earlier in the thread (not by you) on the following post

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/25225-swing-feedback-51.html#post367823

Stick, I'm not seeing the particular swing clip of Arod that you are referring to.

The combination of "rear-side lateral bend" and "lordosis" (i.e., the arching of the rear lower back) helps the elbow become moved in the correct direction. Not having the "lordosis" correct, which is the case for your younger daughter, makes the slotting of the rear elbow potentially problematic.

Get your daughter to feel this "brushing off of the rear butt cheek". See if she can get a handle on the cue to "brush off the rear butt cheek to initiate the swing".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad