Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
You can't be serious... This is too easy.

Here is Sano, who you chose as the person who does not swing from under the ball. Here he swings under the plane of the pitch, just like EVERY. OTHER. MLB. hitter. This is not a fluke, or a mishit. This is the optimal swing.

View attachment 23268

Sorry, my point was Sano should be your poster child !!

ekGYQaR.png

2AkuNEZ.gif

8cuVuk9.gif

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
I was told by the 'Swing Down' gurus that this can never happen with a rise ball.
View attachment 23273

How can this be? What is this quackery? Is she a witch?

How bout you draw a yellow line on her hand path there? Yellow line top hand to the ball, draw it.

Secondly, she hit that ball, however, if she had missed, coach would be screaming, "leave that up there". Don't really understand why you want to instruct or use as instruction a player swinging at a ball.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
How bout you draw a yellow line on her hand path there? Yellow line top hand to the ball, draw it.

Are you saying that her hands went down?

Just a reminder. Do you have a comment?
There is no way you are going to touch a 95mph high fast ball if you barrel gets below the plane of the pitch. You can catch a curve ball or a change up that way but you can forget about a fastball.

Nov 16, 2017
I've been thinking about and writing about these topics for a couple of decades. A ball hit in the center is a knuckle ball. The bottom 3rd is a popup.
hitting-hit-ball-for-backspin.jpg

The reason you swing from underneath, is so that you have a greater chance of consistently hitting the 'optimal' line. Read this line again.

The Optimal line is the top of the bottom 3rd. I didn't say bottom quarter. Seams up top third. White area middle third, seams down bottom 3rd.

Nov 16, 2017
Are you saying that her hands went down?

Just a reminder. Do you have a comment?

Yeah, her hands went down, however, you don't see the absurdity of using a ball a foot out of the zone as your example? If hitting that pitch is part of your instruction, good luck.

Also, us swing down guys are about getting the hands to the plane of the pitch. She did that here, pros demo hand path, and for some reason you guys focus on barrel path. You do realize they are different?

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This is the top half of the ball the pros speak of.. They are attempting to hit it out front on a line.

ES3JbD6.png

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Here you go Bonds swinging "down to" out front vs looping from under from behind.

BgGvngX.gif

8cuVuk9.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi