Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
. Pause at 2 sec mark, barrel looks to me to be pointed downward it she swung up wouldn't the barrel be pointed up.

If you trace the barrel path I believe you will see it is moving slightly up through the ball at contact…I don’t think anybody in this thread is disputing that is what happens in all good swings…Well maybe you are, not sure 😉

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

BgGvngX.gif

Someone needs to tell Barry that he failed. He did not hit the top of the ball on this swing.

Jun 8, 2016
If a player says they are trying to hit the top of the ball I am not going to say they are lying. That said what they might be trying to do and what they do are obviously (from a pure mathematical/physics perspective) different if they are not pounding the ball straight into the ground. No different than Bergman saying he tries to stay square to the plate..obviously at some point his hips open up 🤷‍♂️ Different hitters have different queues which (within their own brains) allow them to swing the way they want to which have been developed over many years of learning their bodies/swings and what does and doesn't work...I am not even sure what we are discussing at this point.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Someone needs to tell Barry that he failed. He did not hit the top of the ball on this swing.
Do you believe Bonds is trying to get his barrel under the pitch plane and then up through? Or his he trying to get it on plane and through the ball?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Completely different barrel path.. Sano loops it from behind and under. While Bonds is attempting "down to" out front.

8cuVuk9.gif

BgGvngX.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Guarantee he is not attempting to hit the bottom half of the ball !!

He may not be attempting to do that, but that is the result. I am not saying that he isn't trying to hit the top of the ball. Just that this is not what typically happens. What they say/demonstrate does not match what they actually do.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Do you believe Bonds is trying to get his barrel under the pitch plane and then up through? Or his he trying to get it on plane and through the ball?

Never said that they try to get under. In fact, I don't think anyone claims that. However, they often will. My preference is and always has been on plane and through. That has been my preferred philosophy since day 1. TDS disagrees... Maybe you should be having this conversation with him... Just a thought.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
He may not be attempting to do that, but that is the result. I am not saying that he isn't trying to hit the top of the ball. Just that this is not what typically happens. What they say/demonstrate does not match what they actually do.

The barrel path is "down to" out front while attempting to hit the "top half" this is what they are aiming for on every pitch. The barrel will flatten before contact is made when fyb and trying to hit out front.

ES3JbD6.png

jFHegxO.gif

BgGvngX.gif

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah