Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
@clemenslee1,

I have a follow up question for you if you do not mind. Specifically regarding the statement that the "core is firing against the legs". When you utilize the term "core", what muscle groups are you specifically referring to? Unfortunately, core has numerous different definitions. Some people refer specifically to the various abdominal muscles. While I agree that they play an important role in the process, I also believe there is more involved than that.
To be quite honest with when it comes to muscle groups, I'm not very up to snuff with that. In a basic sense I would say that it would be the abdominal, and obliques. Although I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that some of the muscles along the spine and back (Lats) are involved as well.

Jan 28, 2017
yeah. I understand that way of loading. I think it’s slow and long. It takes the whole body. I’m just trying to coil the middle through natural movements.

A local JUCO coach teaches turn your back knee towards the catcher one inch to align with your back foot. That’s her coil.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Very good conversation. Thank you guys. I also agree with the comment the pelvic girdle opening is not natural. If that is what i think it means and to externally rotate the front leg before toe touch. When i try i have to really think about it as my body doesn't just want to naturally open up.

I also think a thing that is missing is the thought driving the serratus anterior or the punching muscle. If this isn't an active thought, i think you get bat drag. i dont just call it sequence. Many seem to be learly of saying you need to punch the top hand, but that is what that muscle does. and just because you have a good 'sequence' doesn't mean you don't drag. I believe it helps, but i think this is where the 'snap' and forced supination, and TTB all come into play. IMO it is another way of making sure your hands/arms stay committed to the swing. Otherwise they will be left behind. I just don't think getting into a 'good sequence' fixes this. A good sequence PLUS active hands/arms starting thru the SA punching muscle creates a good path.

ahh yes.. The $$$ stretch. Its hard to find when trying to coil imo. it’s actually quite the opposite. It’s coil in the middle through resistance and sequence. Some kids will need to take extra slack out during stance. But it should be natural once resistance and sequence are adequate.

1627047171020.gif

1627047333551.gif

1627047364053.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Very good conversation. Thank you guys. I also agree with the comment the pelvic girdle opening is not natural. If that is what i think it means and to externally rotate the front leg before toe touch. When i try i have to really think about it as my body doesn't just want to naturally open up.

I also think a thing that is missing is the thought driving the serratus anterior or the punching muscle. If this isn't an active thought, i think you get bat drag. i dont just call it sequence. Many seem to be learly of saying you need to punch the top hand, but that is what that muscle does. and just because you have a good 'sequence' doesn't mean you don't drag. I believe it helps, but i think this is where the 'snap' and forced supination, and TTB all come into play. IMO it is another way of making sure your hands/arms stay committed to the swing. Otherwise they will be left behind. I just don't think getting into a 'good sequence' fixes this. A good sequence PLUS active hands/arms starting thru the SA punching muscle creates a good path.

I agree concerning the serratus anterior, but when that discussion starts, some people will bring up "push". I would argue that the SA can perform it's function without creating a push swing. Whether you consider it active or reactive is really debatable in my opinion. I can understand either thought. Personally I consider it more reactive, but that's just me... The serratus anterior is the primary muscle involved in the 'out from" portion that I mentioned in a previous post. Post #1551.

In regards to TTB, I would be careful. I for one have never promoted forced supination, but I do promote TTB. Some posters will attempt to derail the conversation by trying to say you can't do one without the other. That simply isn't true.

Oct 2, 2017
That's a good writeup @clemenslee1 ... the only thing I disagree with is the barrel going back towards the dugout. I believe most good hitters get to a typical launch position where the barrel splits the head. Edit: So whether the barrel un-tips, tips or remains at the same angle depends on where it starts at the beginning of the sequence and where it needs to get to launch. Hitters do it differently and I believe this all timing and style.

Bichette getting the hands and barrel to launch position by raising the barrel
View attachment 23182

Olerud starts with the barrel on the correct angle, does not need to lower or raise
View attachment 23183

Biggio's barrel and hands doesn't move at all because they are already in launch position
View attachment 23184

Brett, is something like Bo, but his barrel never leaves his shoulder
View attachment 23185

And really I am putting too much focus on the barrel, but it's what we see moving most and it's the easiest indicator to use. Hitters are getting their hands in position to launch

Just so you know my replies are in red and FP's in black. He wrote most of that. What you are talking about with the tip-un-tip, barrel floating and where they start, is a style thing for the individual, and how they naturally move. For some to get the sequence going right, they need one or the other. IMO. Is the player general a very fluid mover or are they stiffer with their movement can play a big factor

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I agree concerning the serratus anterior, but when that discussion starts, some people will bring up "push". I would argue that the SA can perform it's function without creating a push swing. Whether you consider it active or reactive is really debatable in my opinion. I can understand either thought. Personally I consider it more reactive, but that's just me... The serratus anterior is the primary muscle involved in the 'out from" portion that I mentioned in a previous post. Post #1551.

In regards to TTB, I would be careful. I for one have never promoted forced supination, but I do promote TTB. Some posters will attempt to derail the conversation by trying to say you can't do one without the other. That simply isn't true.
Some posters are just trying to understand what you mean FP, don't be so cynical LOL. Explain that. IMO, you either consciously TTB or the barrel turns as a result. As Tatis jr says his hands are quiet, he gets to launch and takes his hands to the ball. Hands are not quiet if you are focused on TTB

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
To be quite honest with when it comes to muscle groups, I'm not very up to snuff with that. In a basic sense I would say that it would be the abdominal, and obliques. Although I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that some of the muscles along the spine and back (Lats) are involved as well.

Here, is some information..

zo0Cfn3.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles