Swing Critique/Help 15 YO DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Really need some help DD has been doing better taking a few hints from me but wants to hear advice from someone besides Dad. She has played Rec for 4 years but really wants to improve enough to make her HS JV team..tryouts next month.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
A couple of adjustments I would give her.
Her arms are stretched back all ready so her swing is all forward. If you watch a bustos video she will rest the bat on her shoulder. Then when the pitcher is ready she pops the bat straight up to the ready position.
This will allow the arms and hands to stretch back or float back, while the hips are going forward. Or you are doing the forward by coil...
This is a sequence move.
She needs work on that part.

2nd adjustment is she stands straight up, and swings the bat level to the ground...circular hand path.
Bend at waist and soften knees will give you tilt. Or stick your butt out and soften knees will give you tilt. Or learn to start straight up and then, sit or dynamic load into your swing.

Straightleg

May 3, 2014
Agree with SL - all back all forward. Watch her front hip and front shoulder - they turn back and then turn forward together.

Bustos stepping in bucket but not turning forward together. Her upper is staying back as the lower opens.

vZzHQW.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Agree with SL - all back all forward. Watch her front hip and front shoulder - they turn back and then turn forward together.

Bustos stepping in bucket but not turning forward together. Her upper is staying back as the lower opens.

vZzHQW.gif

Bustos baited this pitcher by crowding the plate some and then stepped open and took it yard. Howard has told me the story a couple of times. That Japan pitcher is one of the best in the world...

SL

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Agree with SL here... and to add to it. Try to keep a tilt in the barrel between 20 and 30°. Do this by having the elbow higher than the hands and the hands higher than the barrel.

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for the inputs...would love for others to chime in as well.

I'll go back and look and some of the forward by coil stuff. She has actually improved a lot, she was falling forward after her swings because the all back and forward was so pronounced.

I'll also work on the tilt, but I'm worried she will get the feel of down and up again, she had a huge V/hole in her swing that we almost have under control.

May 3, 2014
She basically used a 45 degree SnF after baiting the pitcher. She knows how to stay back.

I should have said - she used a perfect SnF. Both hips flexing and then extending as she fights to keep the front shoulder in as long as possible.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A couple of adjustments I would give her.
Her arms are stretched back all ready so her swing is all forward. If you watch a bustos video she will rest the bat on her shoulder. Then when the pitcher is ready she pops the bat straight up to the ready position.
This will allow the arms and hands to stretch back or float back, while the hips are going forward. Or you are doing the forward by coil...
This is a sequence move.
She needs work on that part.

2nd adjustment is she stands straight up, and swings the bat level to the ground...circular hand path.
Bend at waist and soften knees will give you tilt. Or stick your butt out and soften knees will give you tilt. Or learn to start straight up and then, sit or dynamic load into your swing.

Straightleg

And that 'stretch' will be a 'baby stretch' on a relative intensity level :D.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

vZzHQW.gif

I don't view this as crowding the plate. Far from it.

I also don't see her stepping in the bucket so early that it would bait the pitcher.

Stories abound ...... but the truth is that Bustos often had this mechanic (not always, but often), even on outside pitches.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
The front knee should be straightening going into impact. Since her swing is an around the body swing with her hands finishing low, that will induce an early rolling over of her hands. Look at Bustos arm and hands and where they finish compared to your daughters. She stays long through the ball and thus can drive it instead of driving the ball into the ground.

Bent front knee.jpg

Rolling hands over early.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying