Supporting the economy one gadget at a time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
The app can be clunky, but there's no way there isn't a working Android version. Swing data is transitioned seamlessly to your cloud account after each session, which is really nice.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I've looked into both of these and for the money, I really don't think you can go wrong with either one as long as you're only using it for a single hitter or two. Personally, I'm glad I spent the $150 on the Zepp trainer years ago. I use it with my DD when she comes home from college on breaks, with my entire 12U team and with approximately an additional 10-12 others that come to me for lessons. The metrics on this are unparalleled in my opinion plus you also get swing tips, recommendations on what to work on/drills to use and can compare the swing to various Pro's swings all for free and within the app.

Oct 4, 2018
Got the package open, got the Blast App, charged the device, added my girls' bats, synched the device to my phone.

Went outside. Girls did their warm ups, got ready, did 20 swings each.

And it didn't record a single swing. :(

I registered the device with Blast Baseball and then had the Blast Softball app. D'oh. But honestly, I think the product could have prevented me from doing that. Anyway, after a phone call things appear to be correct. We'll try again this afternoon.

Oct 4, 2018
Worked better this time. I’m not sure yet if I care about all these metrics. And honestly my guess is we use this some but not a ton.

Feb 15, 2017
Got the package open, got the Blast App, charged the device, added my girls' bats, synched the device to my phone.

Went outside. Girls did their warm ups, got ready, did 20 swings each.

And it didn't record a single swing. :(

I registered the device with Blast Baseball and then had the Blast Softball app. D'oh. But honestly, I think the product could have prevented me from doing that. Anyway, after a phone call things appear to be correct. We'll try again this afternoon.
Did you start a session in the app? Had the same issue and you have to tell it to start a session to record the first time

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jan 8, 2019
I really like hitting gadgets. I’m very lucky because I’m retired and work a part time gig that allows me the ability to blow money on junk on a whim, lol

Im digging three purchases currently. Here are my top three from the WW Stimulus Package.

Half Bats: I Like that it is an underloading solution. It’s easier to find “overload” solutions for training than it is overload. Half bats emphasize solid contact and not slicing balls. Can’t hit real balls, only whiffle, foam, tennis balls.

Whipstick: Skinny metal bat. Has loose shot in it for weight. The weight starts at the hands and then when the barrel is released it goes to the end of the bat. The loose weight is a lot like the one hand PVC bats Hitter/Howard Carrier made. We used them a lot and I think it helped my kids learn when to release the barrel and develop as gap to gap hitters. The Whipstick comes in different sizes and I bought the 38 inch/38 ounce model for hs age hitters.

Sports Attack I-Hack: Three wheel pitching machine. Is capable of random pitch speeds. If you are using it like a traditional pitching machine you can easily and randomly throw three speeds of pitches I.e. a 56 mph fast/drop, a 61 mph fast/drop and a 49 mph change. I also can throw rise/drop sequences but there are ten cranks of the elevation adjustment to change between the two. Just like any Sports Attack machine you can set up a curve or a screw but they are tougher to mix into a random sequence. I think this machine really helps alleviate some of the concerns people have with using a machine that throws “all one speed”. It’s challenging. Even really good hitters hate it. There is no standing in the box and smoking perfect line drive after perfect line drive. You cant read an arm. You can’t read grip. You can only read the ball. Would I prefer live arm pitching from a real pitcher? Yes. Is this machine beneficial? Yes.

ETA: S/A is coming out with a new version of “E-Hack”. My “I-Hack machine is programmable pitches but manual adjustment for up/down and in/out. E-Hack has actuators that make those adjustments. Yeah, I’d like to have had that for my kids when they were younger. I couldn’t swing it back then. I probably can’t justify the upgrade at this point, it’s REAL dollars....

I implemented these three things too close to each other to really dissect the benefits. What I have noticed across the board is a higher percentage of squared up balls and more gap to gap trajectories. I notice that after hitting the machine on random, they rip my short distance front toss much better- I try to spin the ball and change speeds but I’m no real pitcher.
Wow! Our economy thanks you, WW!!

I like the idea of the half bats, but I feel like I should try making one before putting $80 into a store bought one. I was doubting you could hit anything heavier than a tennis ball with them, but hadn't seen anyone specifically say that, so thank you!

I would LOVE to buy a nice pitching machine! Even saw one that I could use with base- and softballs. But I'm pushing my luck at the $75 request at this point. I'm 100% sure that I'd be living with that $4K beauty!

As for the Whipstick, I've seen similar devices, but not this one. I put the one I saw (can't remember the name) in the class of tools that I could not trust to be used without a properly trained AC. (e.g., I have an Insider bat that I like to use from time to time, but I when I had a parent helper doing a station with it one practice, I think he undid everything we had taught the girls within 10 swings each. It was very frustrating.) In short, I could see the benefit of the tool as long as the instructor knew what they were doing, and were taking the time to do so.

I hope you get the clearance to buy the actuators soon!

Thanks, WW!

Dec 11, 2010
I’m pretty lucky to be able to do that. Honestly, a Bownet a tee, a front toss net and as many balls as you can get your hands on is all you need to be REALLY well equipped.

I think you could absolutely make a half bat with a regular old Louisville Slugger!

The Whiphit is really self explanatory for the hitter. It’s awkward at first but they figure it out quick.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Man all you lightweights are going about this economy thing all wrong, you’re all thinking too small.

For 2021, I’m thinking about building a fully covered domed field with all the goodies, bullpens and too many cages. Terrible weather........bring it on, I’m hosting tournaments! Might even build a hotel? Trump is going to give me a call and thank me!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Wow! Our economy thanks you, WW!!

I like the idea of the half bats, but I feel like I should try making one before putting $80 into a store bought one. I was doubting you could hit anything heavier than a tennis ball with them, but hadn't seen anyone specifically say that, so thank you!

I would LOVE to buy a nice pitching machine! Even saw one that I could use with base- and softballs. But I'm pushing my luck at the $75 request at this point. I'm 100% sure that I'd be living with that $4K beauty!

As for the Whipstick, I've seen similar devices, but not this one. I put the one I saw (can't remember the name) in the class of tools that I could not trust to be used without a properly trained AC. (e.g., I have an Insider bat that I like to use from time to time, but I when I had a parent helper doing a station with it one practice, I think he undid everything we had taught the girls within 10 swings each. It was very frustrating.) In short, I could see the benefit of the tool as long as the instructor knew what they were doing, and were taking the time to do so.

I hope you get the clearance to buy the actuators soon!

Thanks, WW!

I have a pair of these.

My hitters use them to hit real baseballs and softballs

About 5 years ago, I found this on Sale at Christmastime for $600. It was too good to pass up so I didn't

It's softball only unfortunately.

The deals are out there. Of course, it helps if you've been doing this 18 years, have your team email out there with 100's of companies and take the time to actually read their Ad flyers.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Man all you lightweights are going about this economy thing all wrong, you’re all thinking too small.

For 2021, I’m thinking about building a fully covered domed field with all the goodies, bullpens and too many cages. Terrible weather........bring it on, I’m hosting tournaments! Might even build a hotel? Trump is going to give me a call and thank me!

Just make it 6 times bigger than necessary so we can practice our social distancing;) Then, when this is all over, you can add even more fields.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi