Supporting the economy one gadget at a time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
@ANNASDAD gloves do not count as gadgets
Why sure it does! When 15 year old little Suzy goes from wearing the same beat up rag for the last 6 years, her dad buys her a Pro1000, and her fielding percentage goes up 28% in a year......now that's a gadget worth spending money on! ;)

Jan 8, 2019
Why sure it does! When 15 year old little Suzy goes from wearing the same beat up rag for the last 6 years, her dad buys her a Pro1000, and her fielding percentage goes up 28% in a year......now that's a gadget worth spending money on! ;)
Or her dad steals her Pro1000...? :oops:

Gear upgrades/replacements do not fall into gadget category unless the price is 2x "normal" costs, or she already has 2 in her bag. 😉

Jan 8, 2019
As and android user, I skipped the blast and went with the Garmin Impact. Easy to use, doesn't charge for extra stuff like extra players, etc. I'm using it to be able to remind my kids the difference between HR swings and contact swings. Also, really nice to keep track of total swings. I'm happy
Ernie - were there reviews for the Blast that showed that the Android functionality was worse than for the Garmin? (I'm an Android user, so this is an important one for me, too.) From what I saw, it sounded like it was working fine.

I did see the difference in not being able to add players, but the work around about adding bats would be fine with me. It's only for DD and DS, and I think they will be distinguishable for a long time.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Ernie - were there reviews for the Blast that showed that the Android functionality was worse than for the Garmin? (I'm an Android user, so this is an important one for me, too.) From what I saw, it sounded like it was working fine.

I did see the difference in not being able to add players, but the work around about adding bats would be fine with me. It's only for DD and DS, and I think they will be distinguishable for a long time.

Here are the most recent reviews on google play store regarding the Blast app..

All of the most current ones are 1 star.. That's enough for me.

Regarding the Garmin Impact, I have had zero connectivity issues at all. The display on the bat is great. I have 3 kids, they can each have their own profiles and bats. It has a nice 3d swing analyzer and a nice video recorder (although it turns down video quality). That being said, I use it to remind my kids to keep swinging HARD.. It's amazing how easy it is to slip from ~74/75's mph to ~68/69's mph bat speed. Same for the younger kids, however, speeds not the same. Sons hard swings are 43/44 but he gets the same reminder when using it.

The swing tracker is what is the best though. Number of swings and date are all logged.

Very happy

Jan 8, 2019
Here are the most recent reviews on google play store regarding the Blast app..

All of the most current ones are 1 star.. That's enough for me.

Regarding the Garmin Impact, I have had zero connectivity issues at all. The display on the bat is great. I have 3 kids, they can each have their own profiles and bats. It has a nice 3d swing analyzer and a nice video recorder (although it turns down video quality). That being said, I use it to remind my kids to keep swinging HARD.. It's amazing how easy it is to slip from ~74/75's mph to ~68/69's mph bat speed. Same for the younger kids, however, speeds not the same. Sons hard swings are 43/44 but he gets the same reminder when using it.

The swing tracker is what is the best though. Number of swings and date are all logged.

Very happy
Well, that is a bummer! Since I'm an Android user, that pretty much makes the whole thing a paper weight. I did e-mail the company after reading those reviews, and this is the response I got:
"The iOS app is a little more feature rich and probably has fewer issues with connectivity. The Android product works across many different manufactures and models so they can vary. Many of our users work off the Android app with no problems but some models can be finicky some times. You can certainly return the product within 30 days per our policy if you don't find it satisfactory."

Less than convincing.

Unfortunately, the Garmin coming in at $150 makes the sale to my DW significantly harder.

Anyone used the Diamond Kinetics? At $100, it's at least closer to affordable. Although from some older threads, I had thought that they had all but gone under after the law suit a few years ago.

Apr 17, 2019
Anyone used the Diamond Kinetics? At $100, it's at least closer to affordable. Although from some older threads, I had thought that they had all but gone under after the law suit a few years ago.
Diamond Kinetics doesn't even have an android app afaik.

Jan 8, 2019
Also from Blast when I asked about compatibility with my Galaxy S8:

"Yes, I think the Samsung Galaxy family is the most reliable."

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Well, that is a bummer! Since I'm an Android user, that pretty much makes the whole thing a paper weight. I did e-mail the company after reading those reviews, and this is the response I got:
"The iOS app is a little more feature rich and probably has fewer issues with connectivity. The Android product works across many different manufactures and models so they can vary. Many of our users work off the Android app with no problems but some models can be finicky some times. You can certainly return the product within 30 days per our policy if you don't find it satisfactory."

Less than convincing.

Unfortunately, the Garmin coming in at $150 makes the sale to my DW significantly harder.

We have no problem using our Blast app on our Android phones. The IOS app is definitely better but the Android app works very well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi