Supporting the economy one gadget at a time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I really like hitting gadgets. I’m very lucky because I’m retired and work a part time gig that allows me the ability to blow money on junk on a whim, lol

Im digging three purchases currently. Here are my top three from the WW Stimulus Package.

Half Bats: I Like that it is an underloading solution. It’s easier to find “overload” solutions for training than it is overload. Half bats emphasize solid contact and not slicing balls. Can’t hit real balls, only whiffle, foam, tennis balls.

Whipstick: Skinny metal bat. Has loose shot in it for weight. The weight starts at the hands and then when the barrel is released it goes to the end of the bat. The loose weight is a lot like the one hand PVC bats Hitter/Howard Carrier made. We used them a lot and I think it helped my kids learn when to release the barrel and develop as gap to gap hitters. The Whipstick comes in different sizes and I bought the 38 inch/38 ounce model for hs age hitters.

Sports Attack I-Hack: Three wheel pitching machine. Is capable of random pitch speeds. If you are using it like a traditional pitching machine you can easily and randomly throw three speeds of pitches I.e. a 56 mph fast/drop, a 61 mph fast/drop and a 49 mph change. I also can throw rise/drop sequences but there are ten cranks of the elevation adjustment to change between the two. Just like any Sports Attack machine you can set up a curve or a screw but they are tougher to mix into a random sequence. I think this machine really helps alleviate some of the concerns people have with using a machine that throws “all one speed”. It’s challenging. Even really good hitters hate it. There is no standing in the box and smoking perfect line drive after perfect line drive. You cant read an arm. You can’t read grip. You can only read the ball. Would I prefer live arm pitching from a real pitcher? Yes. Is this machine beneficial? Yes.

ETA: S/A is coming out with a new version of “E-Hack”. My “I-Hack machine is programmable pitches but manual adjustment for up/down and in/out. E-Hack has actuators that make those adjustments. Yeah, I’d like to have had that for my kids when they were younger. I couldn’t swing it back then. I probably can’t justify the upgrade at this point, it’s REAL dollars....

I implemented these three things too close to each other to really dissect the benefits. What I have noticed across the board is a higher percentage of squared up balls and more gap to gap trajectories. I notice that after hitting the machine on random, they rip my short distance front toss much better- I try to spin the ball and change speeds but I’m no real pitcher.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Half Bats: I Like that it is an underloading solution. It’s easier to find “overload” solutions for training than it is overload. Half bats emphasize solid contact and not slicing balls. Can’t hit real balls, only whiffle, foam, tennis balls.
To expound on Westwinds short bat :LOL:, I'm sorry, he said half bat.........this is the best $6.98 you can spend at Lowe's for hitting! For one handed (front hand) tee work, it forces you to keep your front side in and to pull your bottom hand completely through the ball. Really useful for the dead pull everything hitter, focuses on up the middle and backside.
LAS0434_3.jpg

Dec 11, 2010
To expound on Westwinds short bat :LOL:, I'm sorry, he said half bat.........this is the best $6.98 you can spend at Lowe's for hitting! For one handed (front hand) tee work, it forces you to keep your front side in and to pull your bottom hand completely through the ball. Really useful for the dead pull everything hitter, focuses on up the middle and backside.
View attachment 17138
Dude, I love it! I used a hatchet handle an a roll of cheap duct tape to make a "throwing bat". Saw it on Baseball Rebellion I think. This would work better and have a second purpose. Bet they are even cheaper at Harbor Freight lol!

Dec 11, 2010

By halfbats, this is what i mean- not one hand bats. (I tried to just post a pic but it was being fussy...)

Oct 4, 2018
Our Blast arrived.

However, we have a strict "don't open packages for 24 hours" rule, as we're a high-risk family and also patient.

We'll crack it open tomorrow and give a review.

Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
If you like gadgets, the Blast is a no-brainer at $75. Depending on how deeply you want to dive in, I would recommend the webinar series Blast has been doing for the last few Fridays. Very insightful and does show that it is getting traction in the travel/college community. To the point where players should expect to show up at prospect camps and have their swing data captured. Understanding their numbers beforehand is definitely an advantage.

Apr 17, 2019
Y'all talked me into buying the Blast. Fingers crossed it works on my android....
If anyone knows a pitch tracking gadget that works with android, I've got dollars burning a hole in my pocket apparently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi