Sunglasses illegal? rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
No, sunglasses aren't prohibited. A trained umpire should know that. And an umpire that plays the "it's distracting" card better have some extraordinary reason why an otherwise legal piece of equipment is distracting.

Just because a coach complains about something does not mean that it's necessaily so, or that the umpire is complelled to act upon it. I would have no problem telling the coach, "She's fine. Let's play ball".

I would have even less reason to entertain this complaint if the coach waited until the third inning to say something about it. If it was an issue, he should have said something before that (not that his complaint would be any more valid if it had been made earlier). I'm also disappointed when an umpire caves in to such a request.

Whether something is distracting or not is up to the umpire's judgment. But if the umpire hasn't already addressed it himself, then it obviously wasn't distracting to him, or even worthy enough of his notice. Now it's distracting just because someone complained about it? I don't think so.

Apr 13, 2010
I don't know why the umpire made my DD take these off...I thought my DD looked good in them.
rabbit_sunglasses_normal.jpg

ROTFLMAO. You ALWAYS find the other side of the argument. :)

Feb 9, 2009
I would've answered back "Why are you teaching your players to watch my pitcher's eyes? If they aren't keeping their eyes on the ball, then no wonder they're striking out so much!"

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD likes to wear my 1/2 jacket sunglasses whenshe pitches. She's used them most of the summer in ASA/PONY/USSSA events. When Pitching in LL District tournament LL District UIC made her remove them as "distracting". She won the game anyway. LL Has too many "rules" someimes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC