Sunglasses illegal? rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Was wondering if anyone knows the official rule here.

During a Little League 10yo All Star game the pitcher was wearing sunglasses (dark - non mirrored type). She struck out the first six batters. These girls really were overmatched at this point. Just too fast for them. At the beginning of the next inning the opposing coach claims the sunglasses are a distraction to his batters and says she needs to remove them. He also states its not a part of the uniform and needs to be removed. After a few minutes of discussion between all the coaches the umpire asks the pitcher to remove them as while still a bright sunny day the sun is now to her back and not in her eyes.

I feel like it was really a bush league coaching tactic to distract the 10yo pitcher; but was curious to know what other umps/coaches in this situation would have done.

In case anyone was wondering; it didn't really matter as the pitcher struck out the next 3 batters anyway and ended up having 18 strikeouts in a 7 inning win.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
When we were LL, during an all-star game, we had a portable fan and a
pump spray water mist in the dugout. Opposing coach said it was illegal
cited 'competitive advantage' we had to stop the game for 45min. to get a ruling
from district offices. We were able to keep the water and fan, if the LL rules book does not cite
a violation then too bad. The sunglass thing-Bush League- Glad your pitcher waxed them

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Sunglasses are not "illegal". In fact, you can even buy Little League licensed sunglasses.
It would, however be up to the umpire to determine if they're a distraction. Even then, if they're prescription, the batter would be out of luck, distraction or not

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't know why the umpire made my DD take these off...I thought my DD looked good in them.
rabbit_sunglasses_normal.jpg

Jul 28, 2008
7 inning? Did it go into extra innings? Little league games are only 6 innings.

As for making the girls remove the sunglasses, that's a bunch of bull. I would have made them go up the ladder to regionals or Williamsport before I had the girl remove them.

Dec 19, 2008
My daughter wears sunglass all the time. Even had an umpire try and tell her to take them off because it was raining and didn't need them. Well, she wears contacts and when rain gets in her eyes, it "floats" the contact. So, she explained, and he let her keep em' on.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
That was bush league...My daughter too has to wear Sun glasses on a sunny day, or if overcast a pair of Amber glasses, as per her eye doctor. Never had issues in Softball, but field hockey its an issue every game unless the Ref knows her

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can't imagine what an adult was thinking, trying to fluster a 10YO pitcher.

It is too bad that the umpire didn't throw the coach out.

I think you should post the coach's name.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
I can't imagine what an adult was thinking, trying to fluster a 10YO pitcher.

It is too bad that the umpire didn't throw the coach out.

I think you should post the coach's name.

Excellent Idea Amy...or maybe we should just start a thread on bad things we have seen coaches do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan